b series swap

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright income taxes are coming in and i need more power then my d16y7.

i would really want an easy drop in motor like the b series and heard alot of things.
since lots of you have alot of experience i would rather ask you guys.

i heard ls vtec has head gasket leaks and oil galleries dont match up, can this be fix cheap and easy?

anything wrong or hard about b20 swaps? or b20 vtecs?

b16's are expensive so i rather stay away from them.

need help here thanks guys

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know its not the answer u asked for but i did a gsr swap and love it.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

i would really want an easy drop in motor like the b series and heard alot of things.

i heard ls vtec has head gasket leaks and oil galleries dont match up, can this be fix cheap and easy?

any motor that you dont take time and use real parts in will not be good. i've seen plenty of perfectly fine ls-vtec motors because they didnt cheap out on the parts

its basically, what your budget is and what you plan to do with that motor..ie: boost or n/a

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you in WI? If so at the end of March I'm going to be selling my B16a2, 99 Si engine with JDM head... It will only be a long block but you could assemble everything else you need pretty easily. I'm thinking like $900 for it just because I dont want to hang on to it too long.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we sell lsv conversion kits if you decide to go that route :thumbup:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

well.. how much more power are you in need of??

maybe you can get way with your current power plant.

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you in WI? If so at the end of March I'm going to be selling my B16a2, 99 Si engine with JDM head... It will only be a long block but you could assemble everything else you need pretty easily. I'm thinking like $900 for it just because I dont want to hang on to it too long.
yea im from sheboygan, what comes with your long block? and specs on it thanks

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
any motor that you dont take time and use real parts in will not be good. i've seen plenty of perfectly fine ls-vtec motors because they didnt cheap out on the parts

its basically, what your budget is and what you plan to do with that motor..ie: boost or n/a
yea i kinda hate going the cheap route but im not really looking to go all out either. just enough power to past the average racer, i dunno probly hitting 14's or 13's

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Complete block and head minus injectors and exhaust manifold.

'99 B16a2 Si block and '93 JDM head.
hmm sounds intresting, i just might consider it, but i havent gotten my check yet so if you still have it by then i might want it. what did you do to the cv shafts, ecu, shift linkage... etc?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You might want to consider forced induction for your current motor. What's your budget?

oh yea newb question, can i use obd1 engine on my 00 civic?
Yes, you'll need an OBD II to OBD I conversion harness and the respective ECU.

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You might want to consider forced induction for your current motor. What's your budget?

Yes, you'll need an OBD II to OBD I conversion harness and the respective ECU.
my buget is not much far from 1k, i might just get an ls motor

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got my motor from hmotorsonline.com ... as far as how much was it to install, u r gonna spend about $500-$1000 to install it. someone correct me if im wrong. mine was an auto so it was more $ than what u are gonna spend.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my buget is not much far from 1k, i might just get an ls motor
Not far from 1k? I don't think you're going to have much luck swapping to anything other than another D-seires.

Maybe consider a mini-me swap, and then you'll have cash left over for other goodies.

EDIT: You also might be able to run a low boost turbo build for a little over 1k. Expect ~160-180 HP from that.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm sounds intresting, i just might consider it, but i havent gotten my check yet so if you still have it by then i might want it. what did you do to the cv shafts, ecu, shift linkage... etc?
Still need it or dont have it. I'm simply selling what I'm pulling and don't need anymore.