[B]speed governer.....

99_EM1

5+ Year Member
hey..i have a OEM 99 B16 OBD2b ECU.....is there a cheap way of removing the speed governer...thanks

JdmRice

#1 Hater
5+ Year Member
99_EM1 said:
hey..i have a OEM 99 B16 OBD2b ECU.....is there a cheap way of removing the speed governer...thanks
no, U need to convert to a obd1 ecu, and have it chipped.

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Speed Governer? My EM1 doesn't have one. I am pretty sure I have the same ecu could be wrong. I have had it to the end of the speedometer a few times.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2KSIR said:
Speed Governer? My EM1 doesn't have one. I am pretty sure I have the same ecu could be wrong. I have had it to the end of the speedometer a few times.
yea i dont think there is one... if so when does it "govern" cuz ive seen 140mph on more than 1 occasion

wtfh4xx

1337 Gold Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You would most likely hit the rev limiter before you ever hit top speed limit on a Civic...

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Lil_falco said:
You would most likely hit the rev limiter before you ever hit top speed limit on a Civic...
8k revs in an em1 with 15" wheels is 140mph in 5th give or take a few

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
99_EM1 said:
No.

PS - Type like a normal human being. Contrary to your belief, people are less likely to want to help the guy who posts in all bold, huge text, colored text, or all caps.
Lil_falco said:
Wrong.

According to my search on here, redline for an Si is supposed to be about 8200rpm.

So in 5th gear, it's capable of doing 153 mph at 8200 rpm, 155 mph at 8300 rpm, 157 mph at 8400 rpm, or 159 mph at 8500 rpm. I hear they start getting sluggish around 7800 rpm though, which would be 146 mph.

Also, a lot of Civics don't have a speed governor. Some just run out of power. But usually, when you're trying to go as fast as you possibly can in a stock Civic in a reasonable amount of time, you have to shift down to 4th (at least you do in EXs, and it wouldn't surprise me with Sis either).

lilwhitecoupe

Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my friends 98 dx has a speed govenor too we were doin 105 and it just stopped, we were like wtf:2confused
so if you just rechip the ecu it should go away in theory?

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
correct me if i'm wrong...but removing the vss plug would kill the speedo right?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
a cheap way is to just remove the vss plug.
I think he has VTEC.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
I think he has VTEC.
i dont think itll matter. i did it once and im pretty sure it was fine. i currently have a cel on for the knock sensor and vtak still works