B16 1/4 mile time in a 5th gen.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15.2 is a-ite.... whats your 60'? and how are you launching?

Interlinker

THe doctor is in...
5+ Year Member
Watch where you set the engagement for you VTEC. For a B16 that is too high. When we tuning my B, we actually lowered it to 4400 RPM and it picked up alot more.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Watch where you set the engagement for you VTEC. For a B16 that is too high. When we tuning my B, we actually lowered it to 4400 RPM and it picked up alot more.
personally i never found it necessary to lower vtec crossover. when i dragged my EH9 i used to launch at about 5800 rpm, then after each shift the revs would only drop back down to 6k, which is still well above standard vtec crossover
now unless you're autox-ing, then maybe it might be justified....

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WIthout a fuel management system on that, I bet you were runnin a bit lean too? Mountain air really sucks when you're trying to get power out of a motor...
I have a chipped P28 that I tuned with a wideband. It was tuned, but the air at 3300 feet is much less dense then at sea level. According to a chart I was looking at, that altitude difference should make a .7 second difference.

It's all relative though. Unmodified cars here that would normally run high 15s (99-00 Si) are running close to 17s here. And that's with good 60ft times, so it's not driver related.

Interlinker

THe doctor is in...
5+ Year Member
personally i never found it necessary to lower vtec crossover. when i dragged my EH9 i used to launch at about 5800 rpm, then after each shift the revs would only drop back down to 6k, which is still well above standard vtec crossover
now unless you're autox-ing, then maybe it might be justified....

I auto-X quite a bit so that made a difference. I don't drag hardly at all anymore. But I do know that on built N/A it does help to lower the VTEC engagement slightly.

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I auto-X quite a bit so that made a difference. I don't drag hardly at all anymore. But I do know that on built N/A it does help to lower the VTEC engagement slightly.
curves are more fun anyways :thumbs up

Rex_89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea well I think 6000 is a little late for vtec engagment. 5 something will probably be better. The lane that he was racing in the 60 foot sensor wasnt working so we didnt get to see his 60 foot. His time slip went as follows..... (BTW this is launching at about 3000 to 3500 rpm)

T1 : ----
T2 : 6.574
T3: 9.917
MPH (T3) : 72.968
T4 : 12.794

ET : 15.255
MPH : 89.758

This is for a 92 dx hatch with a b16A3 with short ram intake, 4-1 header with cat and resinator and stock piping. And all interior.

chinkskater

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i ran a 15.7 quarter with a stock 00 si with just a dirty ass cold air and an exhaust........i think thats good right>?

RaYrAy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea well I think 6000 is a little late for vtec engagment. 5 something will probably be better. The lane that he was racing in the 60 foot sensor wasnt working so we didnt get to see his 60 foot. His time slip went as follows..... (BTW this is launching at about 3000 to 3500 rpm)

T1 : ----
T2 : 6.574
T3: 9.917
MPH (T3) : 72.968
T4 : 12.794

ET : 15.255
MPH : 89.758

This is for a 92 dx hatch with a b16A3 with short ram intake, 4-1 header with cat and resinator and stock piping. And all interior.
my best guess was 60' in the 2.3 - 2.4 range...

trap speed seems kinda weak too. He didn't lower the tire pressure did he?

Rex_89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nope. Actually to be honest, I didnt even think of that either. He just got new tires so the pressure was probably at 35 psi.

And actually, his first run of the night he was in the right lane, and the 60 was .254 and he ran a 15.4 So he might have brought the 60 to .24 something.