B16 OR B18 best idea?

NonVTECDX

5+ Year Member
I have a 2000 dx coupe. I'm slowly working on everything. First I'm keeping the extrior clean and my next mod in a couple of months is a full eibach suspension kit. After that and once I run this sohc motor till it's dead; I wanna keep this car since it's my favorite body. I know I could go with an SI motor swap and drop the B16 in. But would it be just the same work dropping in a B18 from an integra? I know it's pretty much the same, but not sure on exact details. Is the hp and performance that much of a difference that it would be worth it? And not to mention, this should be an easy swap right? The motor and exhaust is all I can think about being involved. Not to mention the tedious job of all the electrical wires involved... Any simple facts I should know about before I go any further into this plan...?

Thanks

lil95ex

well from what i know of swapping motors first off niether one will be "easy" but since the b18 has a bigger displacement itll have more bhp and more potential and as far as getting involved no anyone else who post correct me if im wrong for my knowlege as well as his but youd have to do the trans depending on how it sits in the motor im not sure if they sit differently or not and if your gonna run it till it dies personally id do motor mounts too since honda motors last forever sorry if it doesnt help but like i said i dont have the vastest knowlege when it comes to swapping motors but eventually i wanna swap mine for a b18 because in my book if your gonna swap thats what would be worth swapping in if it helps there it is if not well i tried =) good luck post pics after you lower it.

Daddy_Digital

Haters make me FAMOUS!
Registered VIP
i have a b18c5 in my 97 coupe. couldnt be happier. i use to have a GSR and i honestly wasnt impressed too much. theres nothing like a Type R swap.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go on wikipedia and search b series, youll get a full list of all specs of all b motors. Then pick between a couple, and go to hmotors and see what you can afford. All b swaps are pretty much the same thing, not neccisarily easy. Engine, tranny, motor mounts, wiring, shift linkage, clutch lines etc... google is your friend, always remember that.

95coupeEX

Swaps are not that bad if you have the tools and are willing to take your time and research the swap and how to do it before you begin. Before you decide on a swap research both and decide what you want to do, then make a parts list of everything you will need before you begin. Thats what I did on my first swap and it has helped me A LOT! Don't go into it blindly. Also Hmotorsonline.com is where i get my motors from and i've never had any problems with a swap or block from them.

maximusmda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmotorsonline.com FOR THE WIN!!! just ordered my second swap from them... JDM B18C-R... wouldn't ever order a swap from anyone eles!

Chicken Joe

Depends on your budget dude! If u have the money a b18c-r would be the best! But if u r on budget best u an do it's a b16 or b18 gsr! U don't wanna get a b18 ls as it's not a reliable motor as a b16 or gsr! And the swap it's pretty simple mechanics! Just add a few wires to run vtec on ur harness!

lil95ex

cool thanks ill check that out for whenever i finally make up my mind on if i actually wanna swap it or not

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First off as stated above Google is your friend... H Motors is VERY reputable and the price is average. AS far as the swap it's self... If you can pull the engine you can install the engine.. it is all about YOUR work ethic and your Cleanliness that will show after a swap. The vast availability of motors you can do is your choice and your budget... If you really want to get into you can get shift linkage from Hasport, Mounts from Hasport, wire Harness from Chase Bays or Ry wire, motor from H motors... And Bam your Ready to go the harness is FULLY plug and play and ready to go......

OR you have the option to piece it together for what you need and do your own harness... But as far as b16 vs b18 NO one here can tell you what is "best" Because your skills, taste, wants, needs are all different however they are all correct b18c5 has the best power out of the box and all are the exact same to swap in (b18 Vtec engines) as they are the same outside just inside that counts......

Bare in mind an aftermarket harness will be super easy but they start at 600+ GL