b16 or poor mans type r all motor?

jdmexcoupe

5+ Year Member
I wana do an all motor setup....imma be runnin a 97 ex coupe im thinking of getting a b16 and building it and swapping it at one time.... people say ill feel the difference wit b16 head gsr block but i im not sure if das gunna be reliable i need a reliable daily driven all motor .... i want it to be fairly quick.... and i want to be bale to rev out high and nuttin happen im not sure if poor mans type r is the way to go ...maybe you guys can help with the opinions...No flaming LOL i searched....

rUdGrICk

92'cIvIc vX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok.how much would all that cost?2000for b16 w/145whp.......and turbo kit for around 1400 will get u 200+whp!do the math and be smart!

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jdmexcoupe said:
I wana do an all motor setup....imma be runnin a 97 ex coupe im thinking of getting a b16 and building it and swapping it at one time.... people say ill feel the difference wit b16 head gsr block but i im not sure if das gunna be reliable i need a reliable daily driven all motor .... i want it to be fairly quick.... and i want to be bale to rev out high and nuttin happen im not sure if poor mans type r is the way to go ...maybe you guys can help with the opinions...No flaming LOL i searched....
ive seen this setup.

i would go with a b16a ctr cams, and lsd transmission. they should satisfy both daily driver needs, and very streetable.

should be a cure for the itch. but there is no replacement for displacement. youll be dissapointed in the long run with a b16. not much diff than the sohc d16

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rUdGrICk said:
ok.how much would all that cost?2000for b16 w/145whp.......and turbo kit for around 1400 will get u 200+whp!do the math and be smart!
Not every person wants to go turbo.

Poor mans type r is too expensive to do now. GSR blocks are hard to find and cost too damn much. You could build an LS/VTEC that could make more power for less money.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, ls/vtec is not a bad alternative. been considering doing it myself.

keep in mind if your going to do an ls/vtec conversion, that you shouldn't plan to go past 8k on the block. b18b cuz it came from a non-vtec motor as no oil squirters to help cool the pistions. also has no block girdle (not necessary, but a nice peace of mind) which is standard on a b18c1 or b18c5.

any how, all u need is Golden Eagle MFG Ls/vtec conversion kit and your all set ;)

u can always just get a b18c1 (or c5 if u can find out) or any jdm 1.8 bottom end. you'll def. feel the difference as well as see it in the numbers with a 1.8 over a 1.6

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its the rod bolts that don't let the engine rev, not the block. And not having oil squiters is not a big deal at all unless you are making a ton of power and are using heavy oe pistons that absorb too much heat and transfer too much heat to the main bearings.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock built poor mans type r is only good with low boost. throwing in a b18c in with a b16 head ur going to have .2 less compression then a regular gsr. so ur basically making less power then a regular gsr engine. stick with a gsr long block on work on that.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:werd: gsr...but they r all expensive right now...u gotta shop round

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my cousin has this set up...his car is a daily driver...dunno how fast it is...its in a 93 hatch...i think he ran low 13s at the track!! its realiable tho..he been having it for like a year or so now

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Revolver said:
Its the rod bolts that don't let the engine rev, not the block. And not having oil squiters is not a big deal at all unless you are making a ton of power and are using heavy oe pistons that absorb too much heat and transfer too much heat to the main bearings.
well this is what i'm sayin, if u don't build up the block, but u do have good points. (upgrade main bearings, rods, rod bolts, etc. . .)

jdmexcoupe

5+ Year Member
maybe i should get a gsr longlbock b16 tranny and build the gsr ... kuz b4 the engine goes in my car its getting build im puttin in everything at one time.... im not taking my engine back out ..sooo i dunno.... i just want a nice lil quick coupe... i have a project for later on ...boost ;)

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SeanJohn1802 said:
well this is what i'm sayin, if u don't build up the block, but u do have good points. (upgrade main bearings, rods, rod bolts, etc. . .)
No, the only needed upgrade are the rod bolts. Many LS/VTECs make great power and rev to 9k with just better rod bolts. The rest of the block and rotating assembly is pretty strong unless you start boosting past 15psi then it would be a good idea to get some new rods.

Last edited:

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ur right ur right :thumbup: (wouldn't hurt to get lighter rods for the NA route though ;))

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Of course it wouldn't hurt at all but it isn't needed. However lighter rods and pistons can bring out some pretty good gains with an NA LS/CRVTEC.

evan2

Search owns you
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the b16 head loses a tad of comp when put on the gsr block but this is whya REAL poor mans itr has CTR pistons and usually some sort of apr or something rod bolts
like my car has
this bumps it to 12.15:1 to give it itr type power
thats it , then you can add cams most do itr or ctr cams

its pretty basic.... and makes good power
as most know im going with a fully built gsr head with big cams and lots of fuel tuning... wooters
going for 225 whp though i might sell shortly after that just tired of the hatch and want something brand new

but its reliable

but full gsr all around is better