b16 problems

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well the other night i was heading over to my friends place and it was a little wet. i had just goten off work and it was around 4:30 in the morning so i decided to do a little burnout action just for the heck of it.

well i started the burnout and the engine reved past 9 grand!! and then i felt a jar in the engine so i quickly poped in the clutch thinking it was a tranny issue and the engine dropped off and promptly died. i tried to start it back up but nothing except for a starter wine that sounded a bit off. when we finally pulled it into the parking lot i poped the hood but nothing looked messed up. so i started pulling the plug wires to see if anything had blown up there and when i pulled the second wire it had snaped in half. idk if thats because of what happened or what caused it or if i just broke it trying to pull it out. when we came back the next day there wasn't any oil or anything on the ground.

anyone have the slightest clue what could have gone wrong? please help.

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
no rev limiter?

not starting is interesting... you could have hurt the internals because of the inertial stress of 9k rpm, (which would make starting sound different) but usually if it turns over and everything else (fuel & spark) are ok the engine will at least try to start. (unless you messed up the crank sensor as well)

by starter whine do you mean it's making noise w/o turning the engine over, or is it turning the engine over but it just sounds different?

you may have f**ked up the distributor, it is a rotational item and would be spinning faster than it is used to, and with your plug wires snapping in half do you perform as much maintenance of the ignition system as it needs?

hell, the timing belt may have jumped out of time... that would cause the starting sound to be off (if so be glad you didn't jump so much that your valves are now rammed into the heads)

I'd do the following in order:

Check fuel, spark, timing, compression
drain oil and check for metal
drop oil pan and check crank/rods
remove head and check pistons

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check your timing belt

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea we figured it was dropped valves... but that was just from taking of the valve cover and eyeballing it. its at a shop getting checked out now. so i guess we shal see

avenger said:
you kept it revving past 9k *UNTIL* it made a jar...

ugh
well i was running slicks from an autox, it was wet, and i really felt like doing a burnout... damn thats not any better is it? :smackself

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i think regardless its gonna be up for sale soon...
im gonna be doing a lot of traveling and moving around pretty soon. working in canada as a raftguide for the second summer gonna mabye try to stay up there for a while doing this and that. not to sure where im gonna end up so i need to keep my s**t pretty mobile. so i need something with a lot of room and gas mileage. im thinking about getting a mid 80's merc turbo desil. leaving the tuning life style behind for a while to try something different.

but everything else on the car is great. an offers ;) ahahaha

<--------- hehehe my post count is the devil :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wait wut kinda wine? the wine you get when you have you car running and you turn the key thinkin its off?

i think the timing belt skipped a tooth and now its really tight. the "wine" could be you tensior. :what:

thats just a randum guess.

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
someone else i knew said something like that.... they said to try and turn it over manually with a socket and breaker bar. but it just seems like theres something not linking up... be it the valves or the timing, the dude (mechanic) is gonna check it out tomorrow, hes pretty good with hondas im sure he could figure somthing out. and being of latin decent im sure hes seen a lot more messed up b series than me or my buddies have :lol: