B16 rebuild

MyEmWon

5+ Year Member
Looking for personal opinions for the best engine rebuild kits for my b16. The car is a basic daily driver with no soon intentions of boost. I am also curious if anyone knows where to pick up new parts for the transmission as well at decent prices. The car has 147k on stock everything and its time to overhaul it all.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Why is it time for a rebuild? If the car isn't acting up in any way and you assume because of miles, you'd be wrong.

Welcome!

:nopics:

MyEmWon

5+ Year Member
Oh the car is acting up. Oil leakingfrom everywhere, compression is slightly off, vtec is gone (either spool or solenoid). Second gear is being annoying. It's time for an overhaul lol.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
OEM parts are the best. As far as a kit, I don't know of any but you can just piece together everything you need. Make sure you have quality tools to spec it out as you will probably need some machining done.

MyEmWon

5+ Year Member
That's what I had planne on having machining done, and we have the tools I just need to figure out what is best for my budget. I can't go much over 500-600$.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I don't know about where you are, but machine work in my area is EXPENSIVE! Like several hundred dollars of labor for just a block or head expensive. If you want OEM rebuilt kits, i've always had good luck buying from RockAuto (website). You can buy in pieces or a complete master rebuild which includes damn near everything except the block, crank, and head. I've used them many many times. Fast shipping and awesome customer service.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Piston rings, valve stem seals, bearings, head gasket, and of course all your seals. Break the glaze on the cylinder walls... You can get FelPro gaskets. They do just fine. OEM head gasket. Sealed Power bearings are fine. And some good piston rings. You'd be set. Even micropolishing the crank would be sweet.
It's not too bad. Just depends on how extensive you want to get with it.

MyEmWon

5+ Year Member
I just want to be able to have a reliable very well running b16. The kid that had it before whooped on it and I've been replacing parts ever since i picked it up. Is there a write up in here on how to remove then engine and trans? I have done it before with a friends car but I don't want to take any risks with mine.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just want to be able to have a reliable very well running b16. The kid that had it before whooped on it and I've been replacing parts ever since i picked it up. Is there a write up in here on how to remove then engine and trans? I have done it before with a friends car but I don't want to take any risks with mine.
Super duper easy. Exhaust, mounts, hoses, plugs... Pull it out from the bottom. That's always how I've done it.
Even mark your hoses and plugs so you don't mix them up. I've done that too many times :smackself

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
There's endless write ups all over the internet on everything you can possibly do with your Honda. I don't know about here, but if you google "how to remove b16" or something along those lines you should find endless info.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Super duper easy. Exhaust, mounts, hoses, plugs... Pull it out from the bottom. That's always how I've done it.
Even mark your hoses and plugs so you don't mix them up. I've done that too many times :smackself
I've never once pulled a motor out from the bottom. I've seen it done in pictures all the time but It's pretty easy to do with a cherry picker and a level thingy (Yes that's the technical term. Don't judge me).

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never once pulled a motor out from the bottom. I've seen it done in pictures all the time but It's pretty easy to do with a cherry picker and a level thingy (Yes that's the technical term. Don't judge me).
That's how I've ways done it. I pulled my motor out with a jack and a piece of wood the first time :shock:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I use a hammer and a punch. Works pretty well!.. Long as the car is up high enough for a good swing at it.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I watched two guys take my hatch's d16y7 and trans out through the bottom in like 25 minutes using a jack, a block of wood, and various ratchets and sockets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I watched two guys take my hatch's d16y7 and trans out through the bottom in like 25 minutes using a jack, a block of wood, and various ratchets and sockets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Hoodrats do it right