b16a all motor or turbo???

wiki671

hey everyone so i have a b16a i want to turbo it but i am think of just making it all motor, what do you guys think? and what will be more reliable in the long run? its my first swap and i dont want to ruin my engine. its my daily driver i just want to get a little bit more hp and tq. so far the engine has intake, headers and exhaust, and a p28 ecu chipped and tuned. any recommendations would help from the experts. thanks guys

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personally i would go for a turbo. not crazy high pressure either.

something with a nice power band that will still be decent on mpg.

wiki671

ok so if i did go turbo, i see people go really extreme on there buildi do i have to do that? i just want a little hp and tq, can i get a bolt on turbo and run like 5 to 7 pounds of boost on a all stock motor without messing it up my motor down the road?

wiki671

and if so is there a site or place where i can order a complete kit from?

Ek_Rider

if i were you i would stay all motor........... turbo +high compression motors = blown motor

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It really depends, Turbos are sweet, they sound good but and all motor pushing 300hp typically are very stable from what I have heard. A nice turbo and tune will also give you reliable power but you are changing a lot that impacts your motor so it very well could negatively impact your motor.

I say boost for the soul reason that its bad ass!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:slap:
Boost can be just as reliable as all motor. It comes down to the build, the tune, and maintenance.
OP i'd base the decision off of your budget and HP goals. Then reach it the most simple way possible. There are a ton of variables with going either route.

AndrewPicon

I would go turbo. If you know how to drive, you won't blow your motor.
All motor is more expensive and imo, i'd say that turbo would be faster & affordable ?

That's just me. If you're gas is never a problem, go get a supercharger lol.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Knowing how to drive won't save you from a bad tune.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^EXACTLY

PSI is not an indicator, that is strictly dependent on the turbo compressor/in-out you choose for your build.

select a hp goal and a budget and that will determine your build.

A tune is key in all build scenarios. regulating A/F and timing advance or retardation is completely independent of how you drive. If you start a turbo car that has a lean condition 17+ A/F it will blow at a redlight.

I have a few builds that cost less than 1500 and have lasted about 8yrs +, 225-235whp in a B16A2 all used parts and a conservative tune. mild builds are just as reliable and will give you that little extra pop you want.

research and get an idea of what your hp range goal would be then see what goes into that build.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol at the people who say a B16 is high comp so that it shouldn't be boosted. People wouldn't do it if it was an issue.

Like stated above, as long as you have a good tune and the internals are properly supported you shouldn't have an issue. And 5-7 lbs would do just enough to make you happy on a B16. Granted, it will give you more HP than TQ, and turbo isn't going to give you much of a torque improvement. That would be the all motor route. =)