B16a or B18b1?

zach246

2 gsr hatches
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
keep in mind that the LS top end is just about the worst head you can get for a b-series motor. The head is what makes the motor breath and the Ls head is very restrictive, thats why you want a vtec top end. I wouldnt suggest an ls, id actually take the b16 over it maybe

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I found a b18a long block for 350. 180xxxkms and perfect compression, passed air care perfect last 8 years with records. Looks like a solid motor. Plus, guy is coming through town and could drop it off. I don't think I can turn down this deal. Even if I get a Vtec head right away, it's still super cheap either way, and rather low kms, about 110 miles for you americans.

EFcivic89

nOOb
5+ Year Member
Now if you take a vtec head is just as simple as slapping it onto the ls block or is there more work that needs to be done? I heard that if you put a vtec head on there's more stuff to do then just slap it on that's why I was just going to build the ls head. So pretty much my questions is... is it just bolt on and go or more work involved? and what ecu would you use?

Last edited:

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check out honda-tech stock b18b/a turbos on 8 to 10lbs daily driven making 250whp and more all day long ... although the LS head doesnt flow as good you still make the power, and can buy a spare head for 100 bucks and do headwork ... either way you have to drive it so the choice is up to you, I personally dont like the b16 at all my brother has a b16 del sol, and I have the b18b hatch ... I prefer driving the hatch, although the del sol is quick it never feels like its going anywhere ... torqueless wonder ftl

EFcivic89

nOOb
5+ Year Member
check out honda-tech stock b18b/a turbos on 8 to 10lbs daily driven making 250whp and more all day long ... although the LS head doesnt flow as good you still make the power, and can buy a spare head for 100 bucks and do headwork ... either way you have to drive it so the choice is up to you, I personally dont like the b16 at all my brother has a b16 del sol, and I have the b18b hatch ... I prefer driving the hatch, although the del sol is quick it never feels like its going anywhere ... torqueless wonder ftl
Yea that's another reason I pefer the b18 of the b16 more torque! TORQUE FTW!

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Now if you take a vtec head is just as simple as slapping it onto the ls block or is there more work that needs to be done? I heard that if you put a vtec head on there's more stuff to do then just slap it on that's why I was just going to build the ls head. So pretty much my questions is... is it just bolt on and go or more work involved? and what ecu would you use?
Here's a decent link

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0411scc_ls_vtech_engine/index.html

You would run a chipped ecu, maybe a P28, doesn't really matter though. There's a kit made by golden eagle to do a complete ls/vtec conversion, it's about 300 bucks and has everything you need. It's pretty simple from what I've read. Definetly look into it, becuase if you put that much valve work into a vtec head compared to a non vtec head, woah! Top end power would be amazing.

EFcivic89

nOOb
5+ Year Member
Yea I'm deff going to have to look into that I wouldn't put a b16 head on it though I'd look at getting a gsr head.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I'm deff going to have to look into that I wouldn't put a b16 head on it though I'd look at getting a gsr head.
Meh, I think I've heard the b16 heads flow the best, I could be wrong though. There's another super good link on HT about doing a ls/vtec, but I don't think I have it bookmarked. Search around on HT though, you'd be surprised how many people have done the ls/vtec thing.

eghunchback

5+ Year Member
here's a link for a VTEC conversion kit : [URL="http://shopping.lightningmotorsports.com/catalog/Engine_Cylinder_Head_VTEC_Conversion_Golden_Eagle-p-1-c-161.htm[/URL];)

Autoworks

5+ Year Member
B16 head is the LSVTEC head of choice. It is a better flowing head. TheGolden Eagle LSVTEC kit is also topnotch. We are working on a LSVTEC turbo build right now using one.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the b16 head flows better than a gsr, but if you are going to do head work its a useless point, after a port polish etc they will flow the same ...

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah man, get a B16 head and slap it on there stock. You're going to realize a pretty decent difference, considering now you have vtaaaaaaak! It's been proven that taking a stock ls motor, and putting a stock b16 head on it, gains you 27 whp.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
from what I understand the head itself isnt any better flow wise, but the internals (the cams etc ... ) from the type-r are obviously more aggressive ....

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well, the B16 head may flow 2-3 cfms more, but has larger combustion chambers and loser cams, Stock for stock, even with the gay gsr manifold would probably make more power and torque, The b16 head would only make more high end hp. I have 2 gsr heads, one on my gsr 4 door civic, and in my built ls/vtec. Get whats availible.

EFcivic89

nOOb
5+ Year Member
O.k. I think I'm going to hit up HT and read up a little on ls/vtec swap before I actually start building my ls I have.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
O.k. I think I'm going to hit up HT and read up a little on ls/vtec swap before I actually start building my ls I have.
Great plan. Looking forward to seeing your build. Make a thread!