b16a2 spun rod bearing rebuild help!!!

ez2000si

Hi guys, I'm fairly new at all this and need help. I have a 2000 si that I spun a rod bearing in and need help. I bought a port and polished head for it and put stock internals in it. Now I took my block apart and need to take my cranckshaft to the machine shop to get polished or grinded (not sure of the correct term) and need my piston rings replaced. Before putting it all together I want to know what's the best thing in getting new parts. I need my cylinders bored therefore I will need new pistons. I want to eventually turbo it but not yet my budget is tight. 1. What bearings should I get 2. Can I put better pistons on and keep my stock rods? 3. What else should I do in order to better my performance that is acceptable with the stock port and polished head? 4. What upgrades are acceptable with my head that would be okay to drive with no turbo until I can afford to put one in? Any help would be great and any opinions are welcome, thanks

Also, if not capable with turbo in the future what is best to do now, especially with the piston situation?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The rods are good to just about 300hp safely IMO ( I don't like to over strain rods, nothing good comes of that)

I would get ACL main/rod bearings.

Stock port with a polish requires 0 upgrades to perform. The air flow ( CFM) is identical, just less restricted.

If you put low comp pistons in before turbo it would run like a slug, if you put in bigger injectors/ cams you are just wasting gas.

I would either save up or buy the parts piece by piece until you have the whole project ready to install.

When you spin a bearing you need a hone, rings, main and rod bearings, machine the crank and rod collars. Based on how much material is removed via machining will determine the bearings you need.

Hope this helps.

ez2000si

Thanks, that actually answered a lot of my questions, do you think its better or cheaper to just buy a new block or should I get new rings bearings and hone my cylinders and grind my crankshaft?

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have never had luck or know anybody to have any luck with a turned crank. they lose the strength they originally had. find another crank. a lot of times when a rod bearing goes it screws up the rod. once that kind of damage is done imo the only wayto fix it is replace all with new parts