B16a2 starts rough when cold and stalls

Pat_Black

Hey guys, so I have a technical difficulty with my car. It's a 98 cx with a b16a2 swap. Yesterday the car overheated when it was sitting and running for a extended period of time, I realized that my fan wasn't coming on. I repaired the fan issue and replaced the thermostat and gasket. After going back to start the car when it was cold it gave me a hard time starting and was running rough like a misfire. When I would hit the gas it would bog out and die. After warming up for a few minutes it seemed fine until I realized I had no vtec. This happened again this morning. I can't tell if there is a light on bc I have to swap the engine harness bc I'm running the 2000 si harness instead of the cx harness with vtec ran and a jumper harness. I know I have to swap that but haven't had the time. Have any of you guys experienced this or have any input to what it might be? It was running fine previous to the work I just did. Tried tracing back my work and have yet to find anything.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just as an FYI, vtec will NOT engage with a CEL on for most if not all models from my understanding. My advice, get the proper wiring harness and ecu, then scan for codes.

Pat_Black

I replaced the harness and I get code 10,6 and 7. I replaced the ect sensor and still get the code. The throttle position sensor and this sensor are plugged in right. I'm also sure the iat sensor is plugged in correct.