b18 swap

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i finally decided to go with a b18 and do the swap myself instead of going with the h22. i have never done a swap before and i was just wondering if this is easy enough that i can do it myself. well i have a guy in town that said he will help. he had a turbo b16 crx and now hes going to swap in an ls since the motor is toast in his rex. but anyway. im going to probably get an obd2 engine and use an obd1 ecu. good idea? or should i just look for an obd1 engine? also i was wondering what i should do about it being nonvtec and my car is an ex so its got all the wiring for vtec. i may go ls vtec later tho. any tips from any of you guys would be much appreciated. ive been looking all over reading up on this swap and ive got a book on honda engine swaps so im def gonna try it myself. plus it will save mne money on labor for the turbo stuff :thumbup: thanks again

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OBD2 = environmental friendly
OBD1 = tuner friendly

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
swap an obd2 motor into your car because your car is obd2. convert down to obd1 with a simple jumper harness. by law (atleast where i live) there are some restrictions in swapping an older motor into your car.

basically, the reason why this is important is because the motor will be essentially plug and play. all the sensors will pretty much work with your existing harness. converting your harness to work with the obd1 plugs and sensors requires alot of work.

obd2 motor in obd2 car. convert down with the simple ecu jumper harness and obd1 ecu. its ALWAYS easier to convert down then up when it comes to the on board diagnostics.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i read something about that and i didnt really want to have to change a bunch of plugs over anyway. the wiring was what was bothering me the most about doing it myself. so il just get an obd2 engine and then the obd1 ECU.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also i plan on boosting it. nothing big right now prolly just 8 psi maybe 10. how much hp can the teggy axles take?

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
enough for boost. You dont have to worry about obd1/2 as long as you get the harness/ecu and sensors.

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i want to make around 250 at the wheels i just dont want to snap one and then have to go buy another one.
im gonna get an ob2 engine and then get an obd1 ecu and a obd2-obd1 conversion

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so can i just get an engine and tranny and not worry about getting the wiring harness from the integra or do i need it?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock axles can take alot of power. you just have to treat them properly.

its the hard launches that really hurt them, but for street use you should be fine up to 300whp

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i plan on taking it up to gateway some but not alot. its a couple hours from me but i love it so it will see some track use. still ok with stock axles?

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so my parents are worried now that we will be going to san diego in a few weeks and i plan on taking the car. they are worried something will go wrong since i will have just done the swap. i should be fine as long as everything is done right shouldnt i?

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so im going to be using a GSR tranny with the ls engine. while its all out im doing a new clutch and flywheel. should i order those for the ls or the GSR?

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also, are avid engine mounts any good? im thinking of ordersing a set but figured id see what you all thought of them. i need to know asap im ordering parts now

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
will the LS intermediate shaft work with the GSR tranny or are the ls and GSR intermediate shafts different?

trace01m

E thug.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go with the GSR clutch and fly. No, your D startwe won't work. Yes, you'll be fine driving to San Diego if it's all done right. Avid engine mounts are fine. The intermediate shaft is the same "I think"