B18 swapped civic hits limiter at 3k?

ilikethetunahere

Hey guys, I just got my car back after it sat in a shop for two and a half weeks waiting on a front hub...
It ran really rough when I first started it back up, seemed like it was missing and had no power, and acted like it was hitting the limiter at 3000 rpm.
I changed the plugs, and it runs much better now, but the same rev limiting thing is happening...
I tried to reset the ecu, let it idle for 5 minutes, rev it up and still bounces at 3k... I've been out of it for two weeks, and just want to drive again! Wtf is happening?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Clarification questions: Does the car IDLE at 3k, or is it that if you rev it up it stops you and bounces at 3k like it was a redline?
If it bounces at 3k, I'd suggest looking into the sensor that measures the air coming in from the intake. I forget what it's called but its connected right on the intake if you have an aftermarket one. If not you could also check your throttle body. Sorry I'm no big help, I just hear a lot of the issues when cars won't let you rev past a certain rpm is related to intake of air and throttle body. I'm sure people who are more experienced will post better replies.

ilikethetunahere

Clarification questions: Does the car IDLE at 3k, or is it that if you rev it up it stops you and bounces at 3k like it was a redline?
If it bounces at 3k, I'd suggest looking into the sensor that measures the air coming in from the intake. I forget what it's called but its connected right on the intake if you have an aftermarket one. If not you could also check your throttle body. Sorry I'm no big help, I just hear a lot of the issues when cars won't let you rev past a certain rpm is related to intake of air and throttle body. I'm sure people who are more experienced will post better replies.
So idle is normal now, just below 1k. When I try to rev it up, it acts like it's hitting the rev limiter at 3k. I haven't had a chance to check that one yet, but I will soon!

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like limp mode

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd check your harness near the hub they replaced to see if its damaged. Then check sensors . Then check ECU

ilikethetunahere

*updates* So I haven't found a solution to my troubles yet. The car does seem to be in limp mode, and after a while when it's warm and I'm driving it it'll start to sputter and die, and act like I'm not giving any gas (I can floor it when that happens, with no change). I've replaced plugs and fuel filter, and I'm getting codes 14, 15 and 16. I've pulled the fuel rail off and checked each injectors resistance, each is at a solid 2 ohms. I'm still stumped as to what would cause this after sitting for 2 weeks. I've pulled the ecu out and opened the cover, there's no visible damage to the circuitry.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
.... your CEL codes tell you. 14-iacv 15-ignitsion signal output 16 fuel injectors

and it sounds like your injectors are clogging up and your icm isn't putting out correct signal

Last edited by a moderator:

ilikethetunahere

I've run seafoam through the gas (granted the gas that sat for 2 weeks in the cold), and I'm finally at the point where I can put new gas in. I plan on pulling the icm out tomorrow to test it at work, and try to put a set of noid lights on the injector harnesses.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I've run seafoam through the gas (granted the gas that sat for 2 weeks in the cold), and I'm finally at the point where I can put new gas in. I plan on pulling the icm out tomorrow to test it at work, and try to put a set of noid lights on the injector harnesses.

you should try another set of injectors sometime you just can't get all of it out usually i send my injectors out to get serviced/cleaned best way to really clean them out

they clean and perform a test flow to really make sure they work and the spray is at optimal which they record and send you the all the test flows on each injectors when they send them back to you

thats the Map sensor

Last edited by a moderator:

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What ECU are you running? Sounds like you have the wrong one/wrong map....

Reactions: HeX

bairdandrew77

If it was running fine before you got it serviced, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check for any wires that came loose.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Was your car running like that before you took it to the shop? If it wasn't you should have gone straight to the shop manager or owner. You can still try and contact the manager/owner to get them to fix whatever they most likely f**ked up.

BTW don't believe int hat "bad gas" theory. I had my cars sit for over a year during a build and started them up with the year old gas just fine. However I would add in some HEET if you live in a colder climate as condensation may allow water into the tank.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Was your car running like that before you took it to the shop? If it wasn't you should have gone straight to the shop manager or owner. You can still try and contact the manager/owner to get them to fix whatever they most likely f**ked up.

BTW don't believe int hat "bad gas" theory. I had my cars sit for over a year during a build and started them up with the year old gas just fine. However I would add in some HEET if you live in a colder climate as condensation may allow water into the tank.
yea i never believe that old gas theory either, my black civic sat for 2yrs before i had a single to put in it and started and drove fine on a 2yr old gas then after that my car sat for while up til now still

ilikethetunahere

Thanks for the replies everyone! The ecu I have is an obd0 pr4 out of the integra the motor came from.

I had no driving issues with the car before it went into the shop, which is what's throwing me for a loop that a sensor or something all of a sudden went bad.

ilikethetunahere

So I replaced the ignition control module, with no improvements... The tach and engine speed still bounce and sputter, especially if I let off the clutch (in neutral), and then it will bog and die like it's not getting gas, even when I floor it.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
did you try another set of injectors i would try it regardless you never know been in that situation before lol

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
if you was close to me i would give you my stock ones lol i got 2 sets in my tool box. don't need them i'm running 850cc injectors

ilikethetunahere

I'll check with some locals! In the mean time I'll try to keep you all updated with things I find out