B18a1 idle problem please help!

Pwjdm

I have a b18a1 swap in my civic ek hatchback, before I got this car it was idling already, and so I cleaned my iacv twice already, cleaned my fitv just today, and also put more coolant in, and try to bleed out the bubbles, but didnt stop my idle problem, I also check my throttle cable and was lose like it should be, and also messed around with the idle screw, but nothing helps. I haven't change my oil yet but I don't think it cause the idle and have check engine light but a Honda mechanic friend told me it's just from the o2 sensor and te sensor on the cat converter. Ive also tighten up my bolts on header, intake manifold, and throttle body down enough too. And also my friend told me there isn't any vacuum leak too, I don't no what to do, and was thinking of getting rid of the car, but please help. Im still a newbie at this.

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
I have a b18a1 swap in my civic ek hatchback, before I got this car it was idling already, and so I cleaned my iacv twice already, cleaned my fitv just today, and also put more coolant in, and try to bleed out the bubbles, but didnt stop my idle problem, I also check my throttle cable and was lose like it should be, and also messed around with the idle screw, but nothing helps. I haven't change my oil yet but I don't think it cause the idle and have check engine light but a Honda mechanic friend told me it's just from the o2 sensor and te sensor on the cat converter. Ive also tighten up my bolts on header, intake manifold, and throttle body down enough too. And also my friend told me there isn't any vacuum leak too, I don't no what to do, and was thinking of getting rid of the car, but please help. Im still a newbie at this.
possible tps sensor problem. and just cuz you cleaned them doesnt mean they arent bad

Pwjdm

Is this sensor under the throttle body next to the iacv? Um what do you just because I clean them dont mean they aren't bad? Do I need new iacv and fitv?

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
Is this sensor under the throttle body next to the iacv? Um what do you just because I clean them dont mean they aren't bad? Do I need new iacv and fitv?
the tps sensor is on the throttle body on the left.
im not saying you need new ones but I am saying that they may be bad. get a manual or search how to diagnose them to see if they are good or bad I cant remember off had but I know that one has a plug on it and thats probably the bad one and one has no electrical plugs on it but if I can remember correctly you can take it apart and tighten this round thing and that sometimes will fix it. search my friend

Pwjdm

the tps sensor is on the throttle body on the left.
im not saying you need new ones but I am saying that they may be bad. get a manual or search how to diagnose them to see if they are good or bad I cant remember off had but I know that one has a plug on it and thats probably the bad one and one has no electrical plugs on it but if I can remember correctly you can take it apart and tighten this round thing and that sometimes will fix it. search my friend
well okay, ill see tomorrow if tightening the screws tomorrow well help, but do you happen to no how exactly to bleed coolant or to get ride of the bubbles in the vacuum lines?

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
i would search its easier to read than me explain. but im gonna see if I can add some links so you can see what im talking about.

Pwjdm

they look aligned properly up top but there really is no way anyone can tell you if the car is timed correctly just by a picture. sorry
oh, well in reality, if you stared at them for a while, then youll start to see that its off, and it was adjusted by one of my friend which he isnt a honda guy, and runs weaker than it use to, but okay

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
oh, well in reality, if you stared at them for a while, then youll start to see that its off, and it was adjusted by one of my friend which he isnt a honda guy, and runs weaker than it use to, but okay
like I said it looks aligned but its also not at TDC

here is the cleaning one
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1575913

that one can be bad cuz it has electrical issues to it.

this is the FITV it could also be the problem

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

it should be the same for your engine. Ill look at your pic again but like I said im not there in person to fix the timing or tell you 100% its off or if its not

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2564572

and I didnt read this one but its about your tps

Pwjdm

like I said it looks aligned but its also not at TDC

here is the cleaning one
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1575913

that one can be bad cuz it has electrical issues to it.

this is the FITV it could also be the problem

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

it should be the same for your engine. Ill look at your pic again but like I said im not there in person to fix the timing or tell you 100% its off or if its not

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2564572

and I didnt read this one but its about your tps

hm, i did the top two links already, but the tps thread, first of all, i switched out my throttle body to a gsr throttle body, and when it was still on the gsr motor, everything was fine, do you think its still the tps sensor? cause it wasnt having this problem with the gsr, but my ek had it way before i switched the throttle body.

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
hm, i did the top two links already, but the tps thread, first of all, i switched out my throttle body to a gsr throttle body, and when it was still on the gsr motor, everything was fine, do you think its still the tps sensor? cause it wasnt having this problem with the gsr, but my ek had it way before i switched the throttle body.
probably not it but i dont know what to tell ya man. just keep trouble shooting and trying to bleed any air bubbles in the coolant. good luck. sorry I couldnt pin point it

Pwjdm

probably not it but i dont know what to tell ya man. just keep trouble shooting and trying to bleed any air bubbles in the coolant. good luck. sorry I couldnt pin point it
its fine, i appriciate the help. um do you no how to bleed the air bubble?

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
i typically just let it idle with the radiator cap off and let it warm up etc while caps off that way the thermostat opens etc and fill it as needed. there is also (not 100% sure on this) a bleeder valve by the thermostat housing break it free and see if water comes out(do this with the cap on for pressure) and also you might wanna be very careful with that. id remove it and make sure there are not any blockage in it cuz its a small hole that gets blocked VERY easily. let me know how this goes. oh oh yeah also after all this try resetting your ECU it might help

Pwjdm

i typically just let it idle with the radiator cap off and let it warm up etc while caps off that way the thermostat opens etc and fill it as needed. there is also (not 100% sure on this) a bleeder valve by the thermostat housing break it free and see if water comes out(do this with the cap on for pressure) and also you might wanna be very careful with that. id remove it and make sure there are not any blockage in it cuz its a small hole that gets blocked VERY easily. let me know how this goes. oh oh yeah also after all this try resetting your ECU it might help
alright, thanks much, ill try this tomorrow and post here about the news. is there a specific timing i should be waiting for the car to warm up with the cap off? and can i just fill in water? or do i need the actual coolant?

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
alright, thanks much, ill try this tomorrow and post here about the news. is there a specific timing i should be waiting for the car to warm up with the cap off? and can i just fill in water? or do i need the actual coolant?
id use coolant but you want to let the idle drop down or at least be at normal operating temp(let the fan kick on)
how long you let it warm up depends on the engine and the thermostat some engines warm up fast some take forever.

Pwjdm

id use coolant but you want to let the idle drop down or at least be at normal operating temp(let the fan kick on)
how long you let it warm up depends on the engine and the thermostat some engines warm up fast some take forever.
okay, so during this process of bleeding and idling, if this was my problem to my car then during this process, the engine should start to idle normal? or does it start to idle normal after this process?

savage Dreams

Savage Creations
5+ Year Member
okay, so during this process of bleeding and idling, if this was my problem to my car then during this process, the engine should start to idle normal? or does it start to idle normal after this process?
IF your problem is a air bubble in the line then this should fix it it might stop during this process or it might stop after the ecu is reset it depends on the car to be honest

Pwjdm

IF your problem is a air bubble in the line then this should fix it it might stop during this process or it might stop after the ecu is reset it depends on the car to be honest
oh, well im just gonna keep my hopes high on this one, resetting the ecu is just taking out positive on battery for 5-10 mins correct?