b18a1 rebuild

riley1234civc

5+ Year Member
so i just spun a rod bearing and i am going to rebuild. i would like to know anyones input on what should get done to it. i dont have alot of money right now so nothing pricy but in the end i want a reliable motor with a 50-75 shot for racing. i was thinking type r pistons and i heard that as long as the rods are good use them. any input will help thanks

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are you OBD O or OBD 1?
If your obd 0 and you upgrade internals your probably going to have to switch to obd 1 for tuning. I just rebuild my b18a1 and have been researching this stuff for a while becuase of it.

MUST DO:
Replace the rod bearings, ( use oem preferably )
gasket kit
Hone the block
Machine the Head

Options:
you can do pr3 pistons, if you want tho if your going with nitrous i wouldnt
Upgrade the cams if you want. Crower makes some good ones for this engine.
Depending on what to spend upgrading valve springs and such is a good idea.

riley1234civc

5+ Year Member
na it still runs its just spun my last car did it to and its still running and that was a year ago but how would i find out what obd i am? and thanks for the input

slomotion

Banned
na it still runs its just spun my last car did it to and its still running and that was a year ago but how would i find out what obd i am? and thanks for the input
if you have the stock 97 motor than it should be OB2, usually 5 th ge is OB1 but im not sure.

riley1234civc

5+ Year Member
duh.. its out of my integra and im prettty sure its 0 cause its a 90. but ya anyone have any type r or gsr pistons let me know im looking

riley1234civc

5+ Year Member
oh ya and whats a good brand for bearings. and is the stock rods gonna be okay or do i need to buy something stronger?

slomotion

Banned
oh ya and whats a good brand for bearings. and is the stock rods gonna be okay or do i need to buy something stronger?
ACL all the way man. if its apart, you would be a fool not replace the rods with something a litte more stout. call it insurance. my motor is built and there are prob only a few places it would go bang, rods are not one of them and its nice to know. just my op.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should prob take a look at the crank before you decide to rebuild it.

slomotion

Banned
always a good idea but it doesnt sound as if he is building something that will blow his crank apart. alot more will let go before that happens.but you know this.

riley1234civc

5+ Year Member
what is a good type of rods? ans ya nothing to crazy but ya i really want this reliable so i will be boing rods and i just baught some gsr pistons for it. is there anything i need to look for or buy that i am not getting. so far im buying arp bolts for everything i have a hondata heat shield cosmetic head gasket gsr pistons acl rod bearings will have rods gasket and o ring kit. and what about getting a type r oil pump will that help or even work? thanks guy let me know.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
always a good idea but it doesnt sound as if he is building something that will blow his crank apart. alot more will let go before that happens.but you know this.
im talking about possible damage from the spun rod bearing. it coulda scratched the s**t out of the crank journal.

Eagle rods are good, and not too bad on the price...right around 300ish