B18a1 swap questions

janvdh3

New to site I think this is the right place to ask, Im sorry if it's wrong place. But would putting a obd o ls swap in my 98 ek coupe be possible? I can get ecu and wiring harness. What else would I need besides axels. Mounts, ecu, harness ? Thank you

EK_GUY

Should it not be obd1? That's what was put for my ls swap!

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
ur better off going obd1 if its a 92,93 da it will be obd1 94 on up would have the b18b if im not mistakin.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
90-91 b18a is obd0
92-93 b18a is obd1
94-95 b18b is obd1
96-01 b18b is obd2

I don't know about your states laws as far as inspections, but it's may be hard putting an early motor in an obd2 car.

EK_GUY

Weird, my b18b1 is in a 99 civic and I have obd1! Hmmmmm..... I am in Canada tho! Everything is messed up here! Lol

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lots of places have laws against putting motors from earlier models into newer cars. Check it out first before you pull the trigger.

janvdh3

it is a b18at out of a 90 da i beleive. so ur telling me not to do the swap and look for a b18b.
i can buy a b18a1 block and start lookng for a gsr head or a b18b head correct?

along with wireing harness and ecu for what ever head i would use

EK_GUY

Wow, I've not heard about any such laws! Then again I am in Canada! Were usually the stickler on all the weird laws! Lol

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so ur telling me not to do the swap and look for a b18b.
We're telling you to research your States laws, it may dictate what swap you get as it may also effect your inspection.

Wow, I've not heard about any such laws!
In NY State, it is illegal to put a motor that is older then the vehicle it is going into. You can run into big inspection problems especially if the car is wired OBD2.

In some states, the Crv b20 swap into a Civic is illegal since it technically is light truck motor and was not meant to be in a car.

mal2000si

5+ Year Member
You could use a hydro trans with the b18a engine though... I have a hydro LSD tranny with mine.

honda_mafia96

5+ Year Member
So if he has an obd0 b18a1 does he have to change his intake manifold to obd1? Idk if that's right someone correct me if I'm not.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
jesus someone give him a straight answer

use that engine, swap to OBD1 and use a hydro b series trans

its easier to swap to OBD1 then trying to run OBD0 in your ek

its f**king WI they do not have that jank older swap law