B18A1 worth buying? Help me decide please

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Found a local guy selling a B18A1 he claims was running and pulled from his civic with around 105,000 on the motor. He wants me to make him an offer which tells me he doesn't know what it's worth or hopes someone with dumb money will make it rain on him. I'm hoping to avoid that so i'm here to ask you guys for help.

I'm already working on a B16A2 project as I type this but am planning to piece together a turbo set up over the winter for a spring install. Would buying a B18A1 be a better option for an LSvtec project this winter? I'm new to the whole motor combo situation and will be searching and searching all day today i'm sure, but this guy just listed it on Craigslist so who knows how long it will stick around. Or if I planning to do a ~250hp project, should I just put the money into the B16 and scrap this B18 idea? Thoughts and opinions please!

Obviously the cheaper I can get it, it will have value if I use it or resell it. But at what point is it a MUST buy/ ehhh... not really interested.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What all does it come with?
Pics?
Compression numbers?

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
man i've heard hit or miss things about ls/vtec....known a few people that drove them about 10k then they just randomly blew up and have known people to drive them forever with no problems (now i don't know the conditions of these engines i.e. how they were driven, put together, or maintained). b18a1 is a good engine and it's slightly bigger in displacement than the b18b1. i have a b18a1 crank and bare block laying around that i need to do something with :-/

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
complete long block. sensors, dizzy, etc.. no #'s but said it ran great with no smoke. claims to have an offer of $400 on it.

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
eh you can go to pull a part and get one for $150 then rebuild it and have about $500 total in it...tell that guy to go blow himself

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you can get it for 300 or less i say go for it...other than that meh

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
let's put it this way...about 4 years ago i picked up a freshly rebuilt b18a1 and trans for $750 nuff said

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
That's kinda what I figured. I don't know much about the various motors but I did pay $800 for an ENTIRE 94 Integra that just needed a head gasket. Ran like a champ too! Traded it for my 94 coupe w/ b16a2 and goodies....

I'll tell him I'll pass. Thanks for the help!!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Well, I thought this one was dead. The guy contacted me last night though and asked if I was still interested. My reply was I'm always interested in Honda parts. His response was then how bout my whole collection. I'm going to check it out today, but he sent me a couple pictures of several Honda/Acura shells and about 6 or 7 Honda motors and various parts scattered about (ECU's, harnesses, manifolds, etc). Most everything is 88-92 stuff (D series). He wanted $400 for the B18a1 so I figured he was going to want a grip for all of that but said he was desperate to sell before he moves and would let it all go for $1200 OBO. I figure for that price I really can't lose. Then I asked him if he was keeping anything (probably the best stuff right?). He says he has an EF with a B18 swap he's on the fence about along with a few parts for an incomplete turbo build. Depending on what his Integra and civic hatch shells look like, I may see if he'll bite on $1500 for everything. Including his working swap. I figure at the very least I can part out everything rather quickly and get my money back, the problem is I have no room for 3 shells plus the running car. I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself though. Might all be garbage stuff...

I'll be over to his place later this afternoon. Be back with pics to post. Going to need your guys help putting a value on everything and an offer I should make him.