B18B with supreme gas

2000exCivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok I got a motor swap from Japan and I was told to run supreme. Is this true because I have been for over a year or can I just run regular gas?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I always thought B18B's could run on regular. They're not all that "high performing". B16's, B18C's, etc. on the other hand, no.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You'll be fine on regular, w/a STOCK B18b. Its low compression enough where you dont need a high octane rating. B16's, and B18C Type-Rs need the higher octane, b/c of the high compression.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'll be fine on regular, w/a STOCK B18b. Its low compression enough where you dont need a high octane rating. B16's, and B18C Type-Rs need the higher octane, b/c of the high compression.
yup what he said man but you can use regular gas if your in a budget i use regular on my ep3 and premium on my gsr hatch:cool:

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
For those guys that use 87 instead of 91 in their high octane requiring cars, you know you guys are only saving $2.00 for EVERY fill up??

Back when gas was $1.00, premium was at $1.20, so that is almost a 20% increase in gas prices which is pretty large. Now that gas is at ~$4.50, and premium is at $4.70, you are only saving what? 4%???
Come on, seriously, pumping 10 gallons with 20 more cents, you are only spending $2.00.

How is saving $2.00 being on a budget? Stop being cheap ass, youre practically saving s**t.

umair

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For those guys that use 87 instead of 91 in their high octane requiring cars, you know you guys are only saving $2.00 for EVERY fill up??

Back when gas was $1.00, premium was at $1.20, so that is almost a 20% increase in gas prices which is pretty large. Now that gas is at ~$4.50, and premium is at $4.70, you are only saving what? 4%???
Come on, seriously, pumping 10 gallons with 20 more cents, you are only spending $2.00.

How is saving $2.00 being on a budget? Stop being cheap ass, youre practically saving s**t.

it adds up fast.

i guess you can run 89 octane on a b16, b18c if you dont beat on it. i could be wrong.

ryanM

that post was completely useless

it was aimed at a group of people who dont exist, at least in this thread.

fail

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Okay so let's say 52 weeks times $2. That's $104. That's about 2-3 tanks extra in gas.

I don't know about you, but I don't like gas prices. I put in $49 to fill up about 11.3 gallons last week for regular 87.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys.

No need to use name-calling and bash on people's lifestyle. The question was regarding whether or not B18B requires the use of 91, not whether it's practical.

aztecracer

Proud owner of an EJ8
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why dont we all stop the bitching about the gas prices and get a better job that pays a lot more and then you can afford to fill up your tank with out poking holes in your pockets. Bitching isn't gonna solve anything and we all knew that when we built some high comp engines. I can't use less than 91 oct and i ain't bitching nor i have an executive job that pays a lot if i can't afford to fill up my car with high octane like its required according to my built than that means i need to get my ass out there and get a better paying job or sell my car and get something more affordable to my budget and when i can afford it then get into it. Thats just me i just hate people bitching all the time for every stupid little reason.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and the debate on lifestyle & gas prices stops right now.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and the debate on lifestyle & gas prices stops right now.
^^ For real none of that has anything to do with the OP's question...

@OP - I have a Jspec b18b - and the only reason I run high octane is because its on spray ... you can run regular fuel and it will be fine.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In the USA, our pump gas is reported as (RON + MON)/2.

You wanna' know why Japan has 100 octane fuel readily availiable? It's just the RON rating. It's actually like 93-94 octane by (RON + MON)/2 standards. Japanese fuel is more refined than USA's. It's also quite a bit more expensive and yet the octane is not higher.

87 will work just fine in a B18B.

Running higher octane than necessary?
More expense + more unburned hydrocarbons + more emissions - less power = FAIL .

AChase

5+ Year Member
DAMN! Here in Minnesota were bitching about gas prices being $3.88. Guess I don't feel so bad anymore.

2000exCivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its not that I can afford It cause I can. Just a question because I have run premium for the 2 years I have had the swap and wanna pay less. Regular is 4.05 at the cheapest place and premium is 4.35 and up, so I just wanted to know if i switched to regular would it run differently

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nah not much differently you can run reg in a b18b, only the b16's, b18c's require higher octane due to their higher compression....

you'll be fine on 87

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hrmm..i honestly never knew that the b16 needed high octane. interesting. learn new stuff everyday. :thumbup:

waldo223

5+ Year Member
Wow, I was under the impression that running higher octane fuel would burn more efficient than lower octane. I have also been a witness to the most interesting phenomena; so my brother had an old fox bodied mustang, I didn't believe my bro when he said that this car could not use anything less than 91, more specifically Chevron gas. Sure enough we pull into a Mobil/Exxon station and fill with their 91, soon after the car would just knock like no other; it was unbelievable. BTW the car was just rockin' basic bolt ons, I/H/E with an updated fuel pump and clutch.