b18b1 Bought for 50 bucks. what should i do to get it tip top.

aznsk8rboii

A Fiend
5+ Year Member
got a whole motor for 50 bucks from a shop. Pulled out of a running 94 auto integra.
I feel kinda lucky, cept i have to change all the sensors to put it into my 90 hatch.
Since im getting the motor so cheap i figured i might as well get an engine rebuild kit as long as a few other things and get it cleaned at a motor shop.

so im pretty much asking what else i should do while the motor is out so far i have

timing belt
oil pump
water pump
port and polished

i also want a decent set of cams...any advice on what kind and or what else i should replace as im rebuilding this motor.

aznsk8rboii

A Fiend
5+ Year Member
yeah 50 bucks. complete motor. the worker who pulledit out said it ran fine just looks like s**t. said he wanted me to rebuild it. the shop also is my best friends place of work so it was him who really hooked me up.

FameGetta

5+ Year Member
wish i bought my Ls for 50 bucks.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its probably stolen
an auto...unkkk that...you couldn't give me the trans lol but the motor yes....i'd say take the head off inspect the pistons and valves and condition of the cylinder walls ect ect...if all looks pleasing continue with the following..unless you need to go to the machine shop with it

head gasket
oil pan gasket
oil pump
rear main seal
timing belt
water pump
tensionor

aznsk8rboii

A Fiend
5+ Year Member
its probably stolen
it was done by an actual credited auto shop.
i highly doubt it was a stolen motor.

anyways thanks for the tips on what to check/replace.
any heads up on some stuff to give it a tad more power?
or should i save and get a gsr tranny?

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you could put a nice set of cams in there....crower makes great cams for the LS...but a gsr or b16 trans would be good also

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

id get a better tranny than this heh

aznsk8rboii

A Fiend
5+ Year Member

id get a better tranny than this heh
you found my mom?!

no seriously though...
i was always thought the extra lobes on a vtec cam wouldn't allow it to fit in a non vtec head.
and while im at it... what other things can i replace to make it a little more powerfull?

such as head work...
to valve/springs/retainers make that big of a difference?