1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

B18B1 swap into a 2000 Civic EX

Discussion in '6th Generation Honda Civic (1996-2000)' started by Jason00, Jul 2, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. Jason00

Jason00 New Member 5+ Year Member

I need to know what I need in order to put this motor in and still pass my inspection. I just purchased a slightly wrecked acura and pulled the motor. I'm looking for info on what types of mounts I need, and if there is anything else I have to do in order to be 100% legal. This is my first time attempting a swap so I wanna do it right.

2. Jersey8

Jersey8 B20: Detroit Muscle! Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

3. jerk334

jerk334 Hearts my SOHC Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

best advice i could give to my past self when i attempted my first swap. call a friend who has swapped before. just makes it easier,

4. Jdm18c00si

Jdm18c00si New Member

im doin a swap on my 00 civic si with a b18c motor.. pm us if you need some help with something.. but as far as i kno.. you should use ur harness wire and maybe an ODB1 ecu.. im new at this too.. its my first attempt and its still in the garage ready to be test drive 2morrow...

5. Jason00

Alright, well I appreciate the links Jersey, they helped a bit. I've got a buddy helping me who is somewhat experienced with swaps... but my 2000 EX is the first OBD2 he has dealt with. He's in love with the 5th Gen. hatchbacks so he deals with strictly OBD1

jdm18c... well the acura I ripped my motor out of is a '99 model so it's OBD2 as well... I believe so since I have the whole car I just took the ECU out of it too. Havn't been able to compare it to my civic to verify it works since i'm still driving it. But tomorrow I plan to park the civic and begin ripping the d series out and see where I stand with everything.

6. Jersey8

obd2 is broken into into two sections: obd2a (96-98) and obd2b (99-00). the ecu plug is different on both of these. your car is obd2b and so is the acura donor car so you should be fine. if you were to go from obd2a to b or vice versa, there are conversion harnesses you can get

i know i had a ton of links about this stuff and all the wiring you had to do with a swap but i cant find them. mayeb if i have some downtime at work ill try and dig em up for ya

7. Nebster66

Nebster66 yesSIR-S Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Friends are always the best if they have prior experience with doing engine swaps, unless you got the time, money and patience its also good to try it yourself... Good luck with the swap man!

8. Jason00

alright well I parked the EK last night and started take it apart. The ecu in it has 4 plugs, the ecu from the integra only has 3?? Now the Integra is a 99 so shouldn't it be the same OBD2. i'm slightly confused haha is this where the difference between obd2a and obd2b comes into play?

Oh and on a side note this is also a auto to manual swap for this car... does that play into the different ECU's?!? My friend said I should try to find a DX model ECU that is non-vtec , 5-speed, and the ecu would work, any idea if he is right?

And yeah my friend only deals with OBD1 EG coupes and hatches... you should have heard all the cussing while he attempted to unplug the wiring harness bahaha

9. Jersey8

my mistake only the civics were obd2a from 96-98. the integras were obd2a from 96-99. so your 00 civic is obd2b and your donor integra is obd2a. i would just get a different ecu or get a conversion harness.

auto and manual ecus are different. if your swap will be 5 spd, you need a 5 spd ecu, auto for auto.

obd2a:
    http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd2a.htm
    [​IMG]

obd2b:
    http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd2b.htm
    [​IMG]

also, take a look around those links. that whole site was a HUGE help when i did my b20 swap