B18B1 swap into a 2000 Civic EX

Jason00

5+ Year Member
I need to know what I need in order to put this motor in and still pass my inspection. I just purchased a slightly wrecked acura and pulled the motor. I'm looking for info on what types of mounts I need, and if there is anything else I have to do in order to be 100% legal. This is my first time attempting a swap so I wanna do it right.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
best advice i could give to my past self when i attempted my first swap. call a friend who has swapped before. just makes it easier,

Jdm18c00si

im doin a swap on my 00 civic si with a b18c motor.. pm us if you need some help with something.. but as far as i kno.. you should use ur harness wire and maybe an ODB1 ecu.. im new at this too.. its my first attempt and its still in the garage ready to be test drive 2morrow...

Jason00

5+ Year Member
Alright, well I appreciate the links Jersey, they helped a bit. I've got a buddy helping me who is somewhat experienced with swaps... but my 2000 EX is the first OBD2 he has dealt with. He's in love with the 5th Gen. hatchbacks so he deals with strictly OBD1

jdm18c... well the acura I ripped my motor out of is a '99 model so it's OBD2 as well... I believe so since I have the whole car I just took the ECU out of it too. Havn't been able to compare it to my civic to verify it works since i'm still driving it. But tomorrow I plan to park the civic and begin ripping the d series out and see where I stand with everything.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
obd2 is broken into into two sections: obd2a (96-98) and obd2b (99-00). the ecu plug is different on both of these. your car is obd2b and so is the acura donor car so you should be fine. if you were to go from obd2a to b or vice versa, there are conversion harnesses you can get

i know i had a ton of links about this stuff and all the wiring you had to do with a swap but i cant find them. mayeb if i have some downtime at work ill try and dig em up for ya

Nebster66

yesSIR-S
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Friends are always the best if they have prior experience with doing engine swaps, unless you got the time, money and patience its also good to try it yourself... Good luck with the swap man!

Jason00

5+ Year Member
alright well I parked the EK last night and started take it apart. The ecu in it has 4 plugs, the ecu from the integra only has 3?? Now the Integra is a 99 so shouldn't it be the same OBD2. i'm slightly confused haha is this where the difference between obd2a and obd2b comes into play?

Oh and on a side note this is also a auto to manual swap for this car... does that play into the different ECU's?!? My friend said I should try to find a DX model ECU that is non-vtec , 5-speed, and the ecu would work, any idea if he is right?

And yeah my friend only deals with OBD1 EG coupes and hatches... you should have heard all the cussing while he attempted to unplug the wiring harness bahaha

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my mistake only the civics were obd2a from 96-98. the integras were obd2a from 96-99. so your 00 civic is obd2b and your donor integra is obd2a. i would just get a different ecu or get a conversion harness.

auto and manual ecus are different. if your swap will be 5 spd, you need a 5 spd ecu, auto for auto.

obd2a:
http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd2a.htm

obd2b:
http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd2b.htm

also, take a look around those links. that whole site was a HUGE help when i did my b20 swap