B18C1 swap in '99 Civic Si

Nevyn04

My buddy is telling me, rather than spending money on improving my B16A2 I should get a B18C1 to swap in. He says its a direct swap and will fir right up to my tranny. Also says I should go turbo instead of my jrsc I have now. So I'm looking into it. Is it really a direct swap? Why not just bore my B16 for the .2 displacement I get with the swap? If I do this I will probably put the engine to the side and build it slowly overtime so I might as well go all out. What kinda numbers can I expect from the B18C well built tuned and turboed?

JeffBel

Registered VIP
The c1 is a higher compression engine, boring the engine is pricey. The 1.8 displacement will give gain, but you be honest I've never owned a b16a2. If you have a B-series everything is interchangeable, the swap would be really easy. I'm just not sure if it would be worth the time or money

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Unless you score one super cheap or your current set up fails, i dont think it'd be worth it.

Nevyn04

is it pricey to bore it or is it the labor of pulling the engine? Thinking about getting forged internals so will need to pull anyway.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Yeah its not worth it ur jrsc and b16 most likely has the same power or more then the gsr does

Sent from tapataalllkk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The bore is the same it is the stroke that is different. Yes you will make more power going turbo than your JRSC can produce, BUT you will make more power off the B18C1 with a JRSC. I dont think a B16 JRSC will work on a GSR, it been awhile but I dont recall the bolt patterns being the same for the intake manifolds.

MY two cents, buy a B20 bottom end, sell your B16 bottom end and JRSC setup, and turbo the CRVTEC.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
The bore is the same it is the stroke that is different. Yes you will make more power going turbo than your JRSC can produce, BUT you will make more power off the B18C1 with a JRSC. I dont think a B16 JRSC will work on a GSR, it been awhile but I dont recall the bolt patterns being the same for the intake manifolds.

MY two cents, buy a B20 bottom end, sell your B16 bottom end and JRSC setup, and turbo the CRVTEC.
Good advice i would suggest b18 bottom end not a fan of b20s unless u know what u are doing , the p72 heads and pr3 are not the same bolt patterns

Sent from tapataalllkk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Good advice i would suggest b18 bottom end not a fan of b20s unless u know what u are doing , the p72 heads and pr3 are not the same bolt patterns

Sent from tapataalllkk
There is no difference between the two difficulty wise, one is 84mm bore and the other is 81mm. Slight compression difference but no big deal. If you "know" what youre doing with a B18 then youre golden with a B20

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
There is no difference between the two difficulty wise, one is 84mm bore and the other is 81mm. Slight compression difference but no big deal. If you "know" what youre doing with a B18 then youre golden with a B20
I was just sayin by the sounds of it he hardly knows what he is doing, b20s have a tendency to crack sleeves due to a diffrent sleeve style

Sent from tapataalllkk

Nevyn04

I admit I don't know as much as i'd like to but i'm learning. Now if the stroke us the difference can't I just change the stroke of my b16 to achieve the same displacement as the gsr? And the b20, that is the crv engine right? Doesn't come vtec, if I remember correctly you can modify them to be vtec but if requires drilling through the block and I was told this weakens it quite a bit. But the b20 is better for low end torque than the 16 or 18. Just trying to make sure I have all my facts straight before I decide anything.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
I admit I don't know as much as i'd like to but i'm learning. Now if the stroke us the difference can't I just change the stroke of my b16 to achieve the same displacement as the gsr? And the b20, that is the crv engine right? Doesn't come vtec, if I remember correctly you can modify them to be vtec but if requires drilling through the block and I was told this weakens it quite a bit. But the b20 is better for low end torque than the 16 or 18. Just trying to make sure I have all my facts straight before I decide anything.
U could make a stroker b16 yess but that would mean a stroker kit which is expensive and u coulda already boosted ur b16, u dont hafta drill on the b20 block the have no machining ls vtec kits, anyways sell your jrsc and turbo your b16 the .2 litres wont make much of a diffrence in fi until u get to high hp but u can hit 275 outa a b16 pretty easily

Sent from tapataalllkk

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I was just sayin by the sounds of it he hardly knows what he is doing, b20s have a tendency to crack sleeves due to a diffrent sleeve style

Sent from tapataalllkk
B series sleeves(even the b20) will handle way more power then people thought, they will throw a rod way before a sleeve is seeing too much stress. 99% of the time it is the tune that causes this. Like you said earlier it has all been done before, 275-300 can be done on one of these b series with ease.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
B series sleeves(even the b20) will handle way more power then people thought, they will throw a rod way before a sleeve is seeing too much stress. 99% of the time it is the tune that causes this. Like you said earlier it has all been done before, 275-300 can be done on one of these b series with ease.
Your tuner has a HUGE part in this, like said, 99% it's the tune. The tuner will adjust the a/f ratio to put more fuel in and keep cylinder wall temps down.

Nevyn04

Well, i've read that I can get a pulley for my jrsc that boosts at 12psi. What kinda power do you think I could put out with that boost and water/meth? Not enough to need forged internals with a good tune right?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I know very little about superchargers, it is all about the size and displacement etc. Youtube or google other b16 JRSC setups and see what they are making. I really doubt they are putting down numbers that are breaking internals.