b20 block + b16a2 head... is it bad?

mikeyisfresh

first and foremost, I want to go ahead and tell you that I'm new to this forum and tuning hondas altogether. quite simply, I'm a noob.

anywho, I've been doing some research on a 2000 Civic Si I plan on getting... and what I've come across is several people stating that the b20 with the b16a2 head is not a good combination because a b16a2 head revs higher than the stock b20 block was made for.

and it just so happens the Civic I'm getting just happens to have that setup... is there any thing you guys recommend doing to the block to keep bad things from happening?

here's the full setup of the car:
2000 Civic Si (b20 block with b16a2 head)
ARP studs
golden eagle conversion kit
hasport billet mounts
AEM fuel rail with pressure regulator
cold air intake
DC 4 into 1 header
stock ECU

will this frankenstein work?
I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

nicoalex2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As long as its built right you'll love it. Don't cut any corners and do it right

mikeyisfresh

Unless you rebuild the block don't waste your time. I dont believe you make much more power

Do some research about b20/vtec and see what comes up. Google is your friend

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/b-series-tech/391608-how-high-can-you-rev-b20v-motor-without-hurting-motor.html
I've honestly been researching non-stop for the past 3 hours... lol.

but thanks for the link, though. so I guess after redline theres no power anyway. seems like something I should have already known... again, I'm new to this whole thing.

probably get a odb2 to odb1 step down harness and a chipped p28 ecu and some skunk2 tuner cam shafts

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those camshafts will require a built head

and dont take it past 7k rpms, you are exceeding the limits of the b20 block. you cant go by what you see b16s going. they are made to rev higher. you need to go by whats the lowest if that makes sense

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what stock ecu is being used? cause to run that set up there is no stock ecu that will correctly run that motor

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^that too. a lot of people run a gsr for a temporary till tune, but its not a good idea

mikeyisfresh

those camshafts will require a built head

and dont take it past 7k rpms, you are exceeding the limits of the b20 block. you cant go by what you see b16s going. they are made to rev higher. you need to go by whats the lowest if that makes sense
yeah. I understand I'm limited to the B20s rev limit. and what do you mean a "built" head? I'm sorry, I just dont understand all the jargon yet. haha, I'm getting there though.

what stock ecu is being used? cause to run that set up there is no stock ecu that will correctly run that motor
I'm not certain, I'll ask the seller and see.

for those who want to see it, here is the Mautofied listing: http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100435194.htm

mikeyisfresh

He means the valvetrain needs to be built to run those cams. springs retainers etc
ohh okay. thats what i figured he meant but wasnt sure... I read up on the Krank2 tuner series, Krank2 says a valvetrain upgrade, like springs, etc, isnt completely necessary.

mikeyisfresh

precisely. hahaha. i'm going on like 2 hours of sleep today, so my brain is discombobulated at the moment... sorry. haha

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also just as a side note, i have a friend that workd at a honda acura specialty shop (not a dealer... and independent shop)

and he mentioned the other day when i brought up the B20Vtec that if its not put together right, (theres alot of minute machine work that has to take place to have it done right and make it last) that it wont preform as well as it could plus you have to have a well balanced build. in order for parts to "harmanize" as he put it. lol

just some food for thought,

and also if your a true noob, then i wouldnt let your first learning experiance be a swaped car. but thats just my $0.02

mikeyisfresh

well, just an update.... I DID buy the car and let me say... its nasty fast to be all motor, no turbo. I've owned the car for no more than 4 days and I've already ordered a short throw shifter (cheap ebay find), a Yonaka catback and a Honda OEM Si emblem for my trunk lid, which was missing from the car when I got it. next, I think I'll be getting a Exedy Stage 1 clutch. the clutch currently on the car seems a bit too "quick" and I'm still getting used to accelerating from a dead stop.

heres a better photo:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, just an update.... I DID buy the car and let me say... its nasty fast to be all motor, no turbo. I've owned the car for no more than 4 days and I've already ordered a short throw shifter (cheap ebay find), a Yokahana catback and a Honda OEM Si emblem for my trunk lid, which was missing from the car when I got it. next, I think I'll be getting a Exedy Stage 1 clutch. the clutch currently on the car seems a bit too "quick" and I'm still getting used to accelerating from a dead stop.

heres a better photo:
She looks good! :thumbs up

You could read up on adjusting the clutch and see if that gets you anywhere.

and yeah b20/vtec's are fast. Enjoy it :D