b20 / ls vtec question...

jkcivic

5+ Year Member
i have a b16 in my car right now. thinking about going lsvtec or b20vtec. if i bought a b20 or a ls and i already have a b16 in my 99 hatch what else is needed to do the b20 or ls vtec. if i have a b16 and get a ls or b20 i should have everything already needed right?

Dumped Si

5+ Year Member
pretty much what the guy above said. you can either buy a conversion kit which will make life easier when doing it all or you can peice a kit together

You'll need different head studs
ls vtec dowel pins
Tap and plug the vtec oil port on the head
run an external oil line for your oil supply

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hmmm i think your just throwing away money man just stick with what you have, just my :twocents: opinion

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well if he did do the b20/vtec hopefully he or they know what they're doing i heard that if you don't do the right conversion your pretty muck f**ked

ej2rey

No Boost! No Life!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well if he did do the b20/vtec hopefully he or they know what they're doing i heard that if you don't do the right conversion your pretty muck f**ked
I would understand if he was doing the swap from scratch and not done right he would be f**ked but he already have everything he needs.

All he needs is a b20 or ls block, b20 or ls/v arp head studs and a golden eagle b20 or ls/v conversion kit which will come with oild sandwish, oil line and everything he needs to tap the hole on the head and a new head guasket.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i had a stock low compression b20vtec that made almost 170whp and 140lb/tq. its definitely worth it

like stated, you need the oil line kit, a good headgasket, headstuds and something to tune it on. might want to convert to obd1 and have it burned. mine was tuned with a vafc2, which i regretted but it worked

also, its a good idea to use arp rod bolts so your block will keep up with your 8200 rpm redline :thumbs up

whit3b0y

5+ Year Member
i would say go for it and do the swap i did mine about 3yrs ago. love it. i can smoke an si like nothing.

if youve got a b16 in already it should be pretty easy. your ganna want to pay attention to the positive crank ventalaiton system PCV. you should go out and find the nipples that are in the rear of a 88-91 prelude b20. then put in a catch can. this took me a bit to figure out when i did mine. the endyne kit is how i figured it out. plus you have to add a crank angle sensor and a knock sensor. both should be on the b16.
mine in the top left corner of engine bay is the radiator overflow and oil catch can with pcv valve. overflow on the left pcv on right

endyne pcv kit i used to come up with mine