b20 or built d16???

blkej7

hungry for boost
Hi everyone
I have a 98 Hx n I want a fun daily with good gas milage.
I am thinking of swapping the head out for a z6 head and wile I do that build the block and head to b able to handle 20psi n give me around 250 HP reliably. Or I could do a b20b 9.6 compression swap n boost it after awile. I just want some honest opinions on what I would have to do to reach my goals and what r some good quality products for the build or a good source for the motor. evething is on a college student budget. Thnx guys lookin forward to hearing some thoughts

MSHU37

5+ Year Member
Hi everyone
I am thinking of swapping the head out for a z6 head and wile I do that build the block and head to b able to handle 20psi n give me around 250 HP reliably. Or I could do a b20b 9.6 compression swap n boost it after awile. I just want some honest opinions on what I would have to do to reach my goals and what r some good quality products for the build or a good source for the motor. evething is on a college student budget. Thnx guys lookin forward to hearing some thoughts
going to be expensive to build it good for 20 psi and be reliable..20 psi is a little much for a reliable single cam dd, alot of people that have turbo civics round here are running <10 pounds for dailys but if you have the resources, it could be eventually feasable. The sawp would probably be cheaper if you can find a decent deal:cool:

blkej7

hungry for boost
I understand 20psi is a bit much but that's at like full boost. I would have an 8 to 12 psi setting for normal driving . Can someone explain how the crome tuning software wrks and how it differs from s300. And what type of ecu to run with a d series build

blkej7

hungry for boost
oo yea thanx for the input mshu

afoss

5+ Year Member
Hi everyone

b20's have weak walls.. if you wanted to go b i would go ls block with a b16 or b18c1 vtec head.

emerican

Registered VIP
Depending on turbo and supporting mods and other mods on the engine you may not need 20 psi to make 200-250.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can build the single cam to handle 250whp easy. And quit basing things off of psi when you obviously dont understand how forced induction works

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can build the single cam to handle 250whp easy. And quit basing things off of psi when you obviously dont understand how forced induction works
this, if yu got the money and want to get rolling, traction is ur guy to talk to. he's got plenty of fast cars. =)

kingkao

5+ Year Member
for a budget build i would go for d16 boost. u will not get 250hp to the wheel out of b20 with out spending a good chuck of cash

blkej7

hungry for boost
I understand forced induction. I was just stating the psi because I want to build to b able to handle that amount. not just to run 20 psi and make 250HP. It sounds goofy just saying that. I would like have a dd with that amount of power on a daily tune . I know that pistons and rods a decent size turbo and a good tune could give me that. My buddy has a z6 in storage and I could buy that for a few hundred. Should I scoop it up and start a d series build. Would it be a plug and play swap knowing that my car is an obd2a and the engine is obd1 I would just use my d16y5 harness and just not use the crank shaft position sensor and egr valve wires. I already have the jumper harness and a p28 what would b the best tuning soft ware to use and can a chipped p28 run and tune on dohc engines as well. I'm leaning toward s300 z6 turbo

blkej7

hungry for boost
I would not run 20psi all day every day just at the track or to get some nice dino numbers. I really just want a well tuned and built dd that makes around 200-250hp on a 8-12psi setting. would a correctly put together b20 vtec make 200hp with bolt ons and a chipped ecu.should I use a bigger fuel pump with a larger fuel regulator to accommodate the larger displacement engine with bolt ons like the b20. I no I would have to change both on the d16-t, but what do I do about the fuel return. I will b building by myself so the opinions are great.

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would not run 20psi all day every day just at the track or to get some nice dino numbers. I really just want a well tuned and built dd that makes around 200-250hp on a 8-12psi setting. would a correctly put together b20 vtec make 200hp with bolt ons and a chipped ecu.should I use a bigger fuel pump with a larger fuel regulator to accommodate the larger displacement engine with bolt ons like the b20. I no I would have to change both on the d16-t, but what do I do about the fuel return. I will b building by myself so the opinions are great.
I think it would be rather hard to get 200hp with bolt ons from a B20. You would have to crack into building the bottom and top, better fuel managment and a killer tune. I also don't like the fact that they don't seem to be very reliable. If you're looking for just power I'd reccomend just building a high boost D series. And since you already have access to a D series engine it would also be most cost effective.

blkej7

hungry for boost
Thanx for the .02 people. I didn't go either way though lol. Just bought a jdm b18c type r LSD trans. 3400 shipped

r81_civic

glad u got a type r single cams are worthless if ur seeking power. at the end of the day its a single cam , on that note u could make 250 out of a stock ls with a decent tubro kit no ebay s**t bolt ons and a tune dont let anyone tell u otherwise. 250whp is perfect for the streets u just gotta put it to the pavement right and not spin so get a b16 tranny or gsr and ride.

blkej7

hungry for boost
I got the type r tranny isn't that better than the b16 and the gsr? I plan to boost after I get the car and engine ready.