B20 or D16y8???

818EK_

so let me add in that im a neewb

And im sure anyone here can answer this soo, i wanted to know if someone can explian this to me?

I checked my engine and its a D16y8, so is this Vetec? is this a decent engine? and what do people with civic ussaly swapp there engines for?? i seen b18, b20 , whats the difference, and when does JDM come into playso if someone could explian it would REALLY help! JUst tryna leanr the basics, gotta start some where rite ;)
thanks

devilzek84

5+ Year Member
rofl love that link.. b18 is good b20 is better.. more power more speed.. depends on ur budget and what ur lookin to do

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
Yes the d16y8 is a VTEC motor and yeah it's a Honda motor so of course it's decent :thumbs up but it's nowhere near a b20 in terms of power.
JDM only comes into play if you wanna do a swap to a JDM motor or if you like the JDM style parts they sell over there in Japan. I personally only like a select few JDM parts, I'm not a JDM tuner guy so it's really up to you and your likes/dislikes.
JDM motors are legit tho :cool:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The numbers represent the displacement for the engines. B18= 1.8 liter engine. B20= 2.0 liter engine.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The numbers represent the displacement for the engines. B18= 1.8 liter engine. B20= 2.0 liter engine.
What he said.

What motor you get is based on multiple things. How much money you can spend, what your goals are for the car, preferences (as far as all motor, turbo, supercharge, or spray), etc.

D-Series are looked down upon for the most part in the Honda community. Some people like to be different and stick with the puny SOHC 1.6L and build them and boost them. But the fact is they are slow and torque-less (as are a lot of the other engines ;)).

Most of the Honda/Acura engines are a direct swap in a Civic chassis but things get a little more complex when you start fidgeting with H and K-Series motors (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

818EK_

thanks everyone, yea that pretty much clears up,
i gotta good idea on whats what now
w
, nice (reality check)