B20b question (posting for a friend)

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My bdest friend got a civic project car for the summer. has everything but a engine and tranny. its a 96 civic not sure which model. but asked me if a B20b longblock would fit and i have no idea. so toldem id post and see what you guys say. thanks abunch.

genobee

5+ Year Member
yea it would fit, heard that they are pretty tall, and kinda heavier than the other b series motors

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
youre going to need more than just a long block, but yea it will fit

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes it will bolt right up with the right mounts, the long block is basically just the motor. He'll need a tranny, i'd suggest a GSR or LS tranny. My buddy has the B20 with a b16 tranny and i think its not a good combo. The B20 wasn't made to rev so high, reving too high = stressed motor. Anyways your buddy will need the axles, ecu, etc...

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b16 gears on a 7k redline is kinda sucky, but you can always put a vtec head on it and rev higher so the b16 gears wont be so bad then. all you need is rod bolts and the bottom end will be fine for 8k

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
b16 gears on a 7k redline is kinda sucky, but you can always put a vtec head on it and rev higher so the b16 gears wont be so bad then. all you need is rod bolts and the bottom end will be fine for 8k
:word:

my crvtec didnt even have rod bolts and i took it to 8200 :oops:

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea it would fit, heard that they are pretty tall, and kinda heavier than the other b series motors
actually they are the same block as the b18b, only difference is a bigger bore to make it a 2.0 instead of a 1.8 thus the added torque, and yeah they might be a tad heavier but not by much or enough to notice a difference. The only bad thing about these engines are the cylinder walls