B20VTEC buildup and swap.. DONE!

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
P0gKai said:
... I think is running way lean
Wanna know why so many people think CRVTEC and LSVTEC setups are not reliable? That is why... So many people use the stock fuel system and ecu... and when their car eventually starts burning oil they think oh its just because these engines are not reliable. More displacement on a much better head than what was originally on the block means more air which means you need more fuel. Your stock ecu is not up to it and the lean condition would be even worse if you had higher compression pistons. Get a wideband and some way of getting more fuel in before you overheat a piston and it scuffs the cylinder wall.
The other reason people think CRVTEC and LSVTEC engines are unreliable is because owners think they can rev beyond 8k on the stock rod bolts.

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
i think it was eather golden eagle or endyn that sell a true bolt on gurdle.
or you can get an existing gsr gurdle machined to fit onto the ls/b20 i believe.

for the above reasons. this is why i have opted for my 2.0 to go boost. not vtec.

for the thread starter, what transmission are you using? forgive me if i skipped it in the description.

:thumbs up for the 2.0

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hatch said:
or you can get an existing gsr gurdle machined to fit onto the ls/b20 i believe.

for the above reasons. this is why i have opted for my 2.0 to go boost. not vtec.

for the thread starter, what transmission are you using? forgive me if i skipped it in the description.

I'm using GS-R tranny with ACT clutch and pressure plate.

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice build , i'm running a little lean on mine also. had it 6 months bring mine up too 7500 rpm reliably but with arp rod bolts.

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bklynEG said:
nice build , i'm running a little lean on mine also. had it 6 months bring mine up too 7500 rpm reliably but with arp rod bolts.
you can go more than that, you have the rod bolts, I don't

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when had it dyno'd peak hp was at 7k so i dont care for goin above 7.5

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbdown for low compression pistons

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bklynEG said:
when had it dyno'd peak hp was at 7k so i dont care for goin above 7.5
i see.. what numbers did you get?

bklynEG

FTW!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
173whp and 141 ft lbs. with bolt ons. stock gsr only makes about 150 hp to the wheels and about 120 ft lbs of torque with bolt ons. so you guys can do the math.

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bklynEG said:
173whp and 141 ft lbs. with bolt ons. stock gsr only makes about 150 hp to the wheels and about 120 ft lbs of torque with bolt ons. so you guys can do the math.
nice numbers! let see if mine can do at least 160whp

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
93civic_sedan said:
nice man...looks good, wish you coulda got some pistons...
yeah.. but now I can boost it.. like 6psi to compenste ;)

93b16hatch

Felony Racing LLC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blazed said:
haha i have to have a crvtec to make a comment on it??????????????????
if lsvtec and crvtec were so good wtf did honda never bring it out? :roll:

i have seen and heard many peoples crvtec and lsvtecs blow..u can blame it on the build u can blame it on the driver..
bottom line its nothing compared to a gsr or type r..
the reason those motors blow is cause people who drive them swear they can rev to 8-9k rpm :roll:
and i dont think ls rods and b20 rods are the same anyway...i might be wrong on that...

i have seen many people go crazy about the b20 and lsvtec builds and u knwo what..they turn rigth back the f**k around sell the car and goes gets a gsr or type r..or even a b16..

the hassles aren;t worth it..

urs aint blow cause u aint push it..

i could push my gsr all day everyday and not have to worry about shyt...
If its built right it can handle it but yeh your right. I rev'd my GSR to 8600 every day never had a problem. Reved my b16 to 8600 every day same thing. Even my h22 takes 8k good. I never go by that in my 22 casue its not really making power past 8 so its a waiste of gas and engine life.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ugg get dyno numbers... im looking into a b20b swap too... not sure of vtec but if it would be run reliable then yes... is the the stroke that makes these blow up when revved to like 8k and up??? i thought b20b's redline was 8k??? so wouldnt that be ok for b20vtec?

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
ugg get dyno numbers... im looking into a b20b swap too... not sure of vtec but if it would be run reliable then yes... is the the stroke that makes these blow up when revved to like 8k and up??? i thought b20b's redline was 8k??? so wouldnt that be ok for b20vtec?
no.. it's the rod/stroke ratio that newbies dont get and they blow their engines. and no again.. stock b20b redline's like 6800 or so

JustaSolCR-VTEC

5+ Year Member
Blazed said:
haha i have to have a crvtec to make a comment on it??????????????????
if lsvtec and crvtec were so good wtf did honda never bring it out? :roll:

i have seen and heard many peoples crvtec and lsvtecs blow..u can blame it on the build u can blame it on the driver..
bottom line its nothing compared to a gsr or type r..
the reason those motors blow is cause people who drive them swear they can rev to 8-9k rpm :roll:
and i dont think ls rods and b20 rods are the same anyway...i might be wrong on that...

i have seen many people go crazy about the b20 and lsvtec builds and u knwo what..they turn rigth back the f**k around sell the car and goes gets a gsr or type r..or even a b16..

the hassles aren;t worth it..

urs aint blow cause u aint push it..

i could push my gsr all day everyday and not have to worry about shyt...
1. well, if you haven't had a CR-VTEC, you really have no leg to stand on when you say anything about it.

2. a lot of different things can make an engine unreliable. if you take a stock motor and take some of the fuel away, something will go wrong. you've heard of many people's LS-VTECs and CR-VTECs blowing up because most people don't build the motor right or don't tune the motor right.

3. why did Honda never produce the LS-VTEC or CR-VTEC? I don't understand how anyone could be ignorant enough to ask this question.

4. LS rods are the same as CR-V rods

5. my motor cost about the same as an ITR motor and will absolutely whore it.

6. you're telling me I haven't pushed it? oh, that's right, you've been in my passenger seat the whole two years I've had the setup. I pushed it untuned, I pushed it with a V-AFC, and I've pushed it tuned. just the other day I pulled on an LT1 Camaro with flowmasters, a chip, and other minor mods.

7. you could push your GS-R motor? I could push my CR-VTEC motor, pull on your GS-R powered car and not worry.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hatch said:

the gsr one will cause problems if the block is not line bored before you put the gurdle on. read the rest of the thread. one of thoes 2 has a true bolt on that does not need to be line bored