back on the honda D

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
so i just bought another honda, 95 EG hatch, and am currently in the process of building it. heres the catch...the car is in the US and im deployed to Afghanistan. funny how that works. i have family working on the car, and im supplying the funds. it sucks im missing my own build but ill still have plenty of work to do when i get back. the car currently has a B18, which will be swapped for a B16. then, boosted with insanity. i want 12-14psi as a daily driver, and be able to turn it up to 22psi when i need it. looking to push close to 400hp in the end. and suggestions on which direction to go? performance upgrades, hints, tricks, etc? any help would be great :lol:

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
The search feature is an amazing invention.

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
when i search i get a million different sites, and they all say something different. some say 16psi on stock internals, some say 12, some same 24. not sure what to believe right now. ive never boosted a honda this much before.

JRanINC.

you should boost a k20. swap a k20 for the b18 and boost that.

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
b18 threw a rod. found a jdm b16a/trans/ecu and planning on sticking that in there. not sure if i want a frankenstien the motor and put a b18 head on or not. i have to lower the compression one way or the other, not sure if this is the way to fly or not. any ideas?

DaOne

With the lower compression you will need to run more boost to make the same power.
Or so thats the way i see it..

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
lower boost also equals more free play in the tune. for the areas i drive and my driving style, free play is a necessity.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on stock internals, you are at an extreme risk of blowing it above 10psi. who ever said 16 and 24 didnt have a long living motor. To do that your looking at a fully built motor

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
then build it i must. now i just gotta find my parts. any ideas for good internals? right now im thinking brian crower.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
jesus this thread is full of fail

Any b series will handle 250-275 maybe even 300whp with a damn good tune, given its in good shape to begin with. The amount of boost doesnt matter to a point, and at these levels its not going to matter B18,B16 they will make the same power give or take a few psi. You do NOT have to lower the compression, you just need a good tuner.

Love the k swap idea, no offense to the OP but he doesnt even know where to begin on a b series kit, think he is going to have the slightest idea where to begin with a k swap THEN boost it?

OP, this has been covered MILLIONS of times. Do not go to another site and ask the same question you will get the same answers over and over. Look at turbo builds, budgets, look at turbo cars for sale, youtube has thousands of vids on turbo'd hondas. People get shitty when I tell them to take a second to just look in the right places and take your time, you can tell the bullshit from legit info.

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
jesus this thread is full of fail

Any b series will handle 250-275 maybe even 300whp with a damn good tune, given its in good shape to begin with. The amount of boost doesnt matter to a point, and at these levels its not going to matter B18,B16 they will make the same power give or take a few psi. You do NOT have to lower the compression, you just need a good tuner.

Love the k swap idea, no offense to the OP but he doesnt even know where to begin on a b series kit, think he is going to have the slightest idea where to begin with a k swap THEN boost it?

OP, this has been covered MILLIONS of times. Do not go to another site and ask the same question you will get the same answers over and over. Look at turbo builds, budgets, look at turbo cars for sale, youtube has thousands of vids on turbo'd hondas. People get s***ty when I tell them to take a second to just look in the right places and take your time, you can tell the bulls*** from legit info.
so tell me exactly what you suggest. im here for advice. i want mass amounts of horse power. i know enough to get what i want. but i need numbers. how much boost can a stock b16 handle, before i have to upgrade internals? how much horse power, before i have to upgrade? i find different answers everywhere. im sticking to the b series engine. most likely b16A. any help is greatly appreciated. like i said, building a car halfway around the world is kind of difficult.:???:

barrett

Registered VIP
its not about how much boost an engine can handle before it blows.. not really. for a D series you can make up to around 200hp without upgrading internals. doesn't matter if its a tiny turbo or a massive one.

my suggestion is stick with the b18. get a gsr transmission, cower or skunk2 cams, eagle or vitera rods, pistons, skunk2 intake manifold, AEM EMS, ARP head bolts, cower or skunk2 (doesn't really matter brand, just titanium) valves, valve springs, retainers, walbro 255lph fuel pump, upgraded brakes (pads, rotors, perhaps master cylinder or booster), 750cc injectors or larger, resistor box, etc etc. the list goes on and on. and most importantly a one hella good tune

fjdistributors.com usually offers bottom end packages for different engines.

barrett

Registered VIP
for that kind of power you need to build the bottom end and the head. replace every internal you can think of.

check the garret turbo site. good info on there. it'll help you to choose what size.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
You need rods and pistons, you may crack a cylinder wall but lots of people have made over 400whp without getting their blocks sleeved. With a good tune they will probably last some time.

hx35 would be what i would run or maybe a 35r. You will probably get a shitload of lag and a very small powerband.

There are dozens of turbos out there for that power range just research that like anything else

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
okay. thanks for the help and support guys, i really appreciate it. building a car when your halfway around the world isnt easy

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
so ive been doing some research and find contradicting information. im looking for a good shop in the chicago area to do the tune on my car once its done. any suggestions?

progress this far...
B18B swap.
gt35 turbo
mishimoto gold intercooler
hks ssqv v3
skunk2 short throw/knob
camber kit
built head from xploder(cc user)

parts en route...
BC stage2 cams
BC valves
CP pistons-
eagle h-beam rods
rc 1000cc injectors
hondata s300
hondata boost controller
aem fpr
intercooler piping

sound like she could do some damage?

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B18b boosted is real fun man. I have a stock b18b, aside from head studs, and it's real fun to have as a daily.

terminalE3lance

cracken tec since 91'
yeah i this will be my daily, hopefully sitting around 400whp when the boost is turned up. make that highway driving really interesting haha