bad cat?

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a stock cat connected to an HKS super dragger exhaust. My car sounds like s**t as of yesterday. At first i thought it might have been a hole somewhere in the piping, but maybe it's the cat? It doesn't smell bad, so i'm not sure if it's the cat. Something does rattle as i'm accelerating though, which is a sign of a bad cat. One thing i did notice is that it doesn't sound raspy when i'm reving it in park or neutral (autotragic). is that a sign of a bad cat? If i had a hole in the piping, would it make the same shitty raspy sound in park? I don't have time to jack up the car and take a look at it until the weekend, so i was hoping maybe you guys can help diagnose it. If i need to order a cat, i'll order one before the weekend so it will be here in time. Thanks.

jpelizzari

5+ Year Member
Best bet is to take off the cat, and look in it. Shake it and see if any of the honeycomb parts fall out. If so your cat has had it. Thats what i did when i had that s**t noise in mine.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sounds like youve got some loose bolts or hangers on your exhaust somewhere. retighten everything down

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds like youve got some loose bolts or hangers on your exhaust somewhere. retighten everything down
yeah, i was thinking that too. i guess i'll find out when i take a look. just wanted to see if people thought it was a bad cat, then i can order one ahead of time and swap it out this weekend.