Bad Fuel Filter???

tama05

5+ Year Member
I am just wondering how to check for a bad fuel filter. Are there any symptoms driving and if replaced, will I notice any improvement?

thermalstorm

5+ Year Member
My only guess would be better gas mileage.

tama05

5+ Year Member
My mileage doesnt seem too bad but my needle doesnt seem too accurate all the time, is there anything I can do to fix that?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pretty sure that's a Honda thing. My needle depends on the incline of the hill I'm ascending/descending.

If I'm on flat ground and have a half of tank and go up a steep hill... needle reads like a quarter tank.
If I'm on flat ground and have a half of tank and go down a steep hill... needle reads like 3/4 tank.

Renzo21

Nice Bowl of D17 Soup...
5+ Year Member
how many miles has it been since it's been replaced last or did you buy the car used recently?

ragedeep

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im in the same position, just bought a used car and wondering how to tell the status of my fuel filter, also wondering is it a difficult item to replace? oops my bad on the partial thread jack

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They're pretty easy to replace, just a couple bolts. Took me about 30 minutes the first time, just cause I hadn't done it before and wasn't quite sure what to take off when. Not that difficult at all, but not sure if there's a way to tell if they are bad, I just figured since it was like $25 from the dealership, why not?

gimmezell

5+ Year Member
Are you currently experiencing any problems? Some say that the fuel filter is good for the lifetime of the vehicle. I don't know if that is true or not. Like 98civikdx said it's easy to replace. Just be sure to grab some rags for the fuel that will flow out.

WantACivic

5+ Year Member
Pretty sure that's a Honda thing. My needle depends on the incline of the hill I'm ascending/descending.

If I'm on flat ground and have a half of tank and go up a steep hill... needle reads like a quarter tank.
If I'm on flat ground and have a half of tank and go down a steep hill... needle reads like 3/4 tank.

Well its more of a physics thing than a Honda thing, every car I've ever driven has done the fuel needle moving with incline. As far a fuel filters and their "status" if you remove it and there alot of debris or "gunk" on them its safe to say replace as needed, but if its clean as a whistle then its probably fine, you can also make sure the filter stays good by using quality gas, not high octane per say but not "Billy-Jo's" country gas either.

WantACivic

5+ Year Member
I am just wondering how to check for a bad fuel filter. Are there any symptoms driving and if replaced, will I notice any improvement?
Some symptoms can be misfiring or lean running conditions, which can set the CEL, also if the car stumbles or struggles under heavy acceleration that could be a partially clogged fuel filter.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Some symptoms can be misfiring or lean running conditions, which can set the CEL, also if the car stumbles or struggles under heavy acceleration that could be a partially clogged fuel filter.
basically what he said....if you put your foot down on the gas and barely go anywhere its probably a clogged fuel filter....i had that problem with mine. very easy to replace just make sure you releive the fuel system pressure first. and that bolt on the filter is hard as f*** to get off or maybe mine was just stuck....

dx driver 99

5+ Year Member
As far as knowing if you need to replace your fuel filter you cant really tell unless you take the thing off and inspect it for yourself. Like someone had said earlyer if there is alot of gunk and crap in it you need a change but if its clean you probably safe. If you bought the car used I would recomend a change just in case. When I changed mine it was like $25 at my local part shop. Mix that with about 30 minutes work and your set.

As far as noticing a difference when you change it I would say yes. when I changed mine the acceleration increase was noticeable and your gas miliage will improve as well.

Some symptoms of a bad filter might be hard starts, hesitation in the engine, lower mpgs, etc.

Hope that helps ya.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for the sake of the cost and time taken to do it. its worth doing if you going to keep and look after the car. also grab a fuel injector cleaner this will also help absorb any moister in your tank. you should feel better throttle response. best thing to do then is no let you tank run into reserve unless you know your tank is clean.

Avion

5+ Year Member
Fuel Filter and fuel tank screen get dirty and need replacing.

I made the mistake of running my car down to empty 6 months ago. The car developed poor acceleration. It felt like the car was full of passengers. I changed the fuel filter and it vastly improved but not totally. Next I will change my fuel tank screen,(about $20). According to the PUROLATOR web site a dirty Fuel Tank Screen can also cause the same problem. I would think this would put a big strain on the fuel pump trying to suck up fuel through a dirty screen.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
basically what he said....if you put your foot down on the gas and barely go anywhere its probably a clogged fuel filter....i had that problem with mine. very easy to replace just make sure you releive the fuel system pressure first. and that bolt on the filter is hard as f*** to get off or maybe mine was just stuck....
If you say those bolts are hard to crack, try using an impact wrench/gun. My electric portable impact gun (mastercraft brand) helped me a lot to remove the bolts on mine.

honda_hien

5+ Year Member
might as well replace it for kicks.. inexpensive and maybe your current one is bad.. its only 2 bolts.. and yea make sure you have a rag or towel under the filter when removing.. fuel will flow out..

luis0724

Stock D15B2
5+ Year Member
You will Improve gas millage 4 sure...!! I replaced mine just for kicks, it was kinnda old but yeah I felt the improvement in gas milage.. =) do it.! its inexpensive ...

cksnah252

Mr.Spades4o1
5+ Year Member
i was wondering the same thing also. I had my car since 07, and havent done a full tune up on it yet. Meaning replacing caps and rotors, and oil filter. My gas sucks ass, I'm only getting 29mpg without even beating on the damn car.