Bad head gasket? Cracked block?

Ek Hasback

On the way home from work yesterday I noticed my car was getting hot. So I pull over and my overflow was completely full and the cap was cracked so it was leaking out. I dumped it back into the radiator and drove another 20 miles, car was hot again.. Popped the hood and same thing the overflow was full. I dumped it into a clear bottle and it has a nasty brownish color to it. Well I added water and made it home, pulled the valve cover off last night and the oil looked milky and smelled funny. Also if I let the car sit for to long it will start smoking white, it goes away once I do some driving though. This is on a B16a, the cam seal is already leaking down onto the block so its hard to tell if the head gasket is leaking also. What do you guys think is wrong? Or what should I do? please help. :(

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like a classic case of blown head gasket. Regardless, you'll need to pull the head off to inspect it.

lil95ex

well my civic is a 95 d16z6 so the gasket is a little different but autozone has em for i wanna say it was 59.99 and they have them in stock which is also a plus so hope that helps i havent looked anywhere else for one cause thats the first place i go for replacement parts but yeah 59.99 you get an iem replacement for your car no wait good luck with the fix

RonJ

Banned
Go OEM only.

What engine? 99-00 B16a2? In this case, the OEM gasket costs $62 (not including shipping and handling) from Majestic Honda.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You should of not drive your car when it was overheat, sigh. you could cause more damage. oh well, the head gasket is bad. Buy OEM for sure, its not that expensive.

Ek Hasback

Well I had to make it home yesterday, and the car is parked in the garage until I get it fixed. And its $89.99 for an OEM gasket on pwjdm. Trying to find someplace cheaper..

RonJ

Banned
For something as critical as the head gasket, just go with OEM. You don't want to do this job twice.

Also have the head milled flat and replace the head bolts.

Ek Hasback

Alright I have OEM head gasket and ARP head studs for 244. Is there anything else you recommend doing while I have the head off? I already have a brand new OEM timing belt, OEM water pump and OEM valve cover gaskets at home along with a pwjdm cam seal. Also there are some marks on my exhaust cam shaft. Anything to worry about? :???:

OTiS133

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
replace any seals or gaskets you can with head off. if theres any carbon build up on top of the pistons try to gently clean them off. do you have a pic of the marks on the cam gear? may just be to help you get it lined up. dont buy from pwjdm. they are overpriced knockoffs. and i agree with everyone on buying straight OEM. google majestic honda and look at there stuff. and ARP headbolts are worth the money. also check hondahookup.com for manufacturer torque specs. i used a haynes manual to get the info for my headgasket change and ended up stripping two bolt holes. not fun. hope that helps

Ek Hasback

Yeah ill clean it all up the best I can, and thanks for the websites ill check them out soon. Here's the picture of the cam. Don't know if its something to worry about, I just noticed it. (Sorry about the flash on the pic)