Bad ignition switch?

hankmeister

5+ Year Member
Hi all,
Back again, with my latest malady. People here have been great in helping - thanks very much - so I'd like to run this one by you too.

Went out this morning to start my car - 90 Civic 1.5 w/4 spd - and no workee. With the ignition in the normal "run" position, no warning lights, no seatbelt light, etc. However, when I turn to crank, everything is fine. Motor turns over, wants to run, etc. Until I release back to running position, then just dead. I had the same problem in the past, but I just jiggled the key, and then all the warning lights came on, and the car started normally. But the jiggle didn't work this morning.

I DID try holding the key sorta between "run" and "start" and the car ran. But when released and it spring-returns back to the run position, it did die. Headlights work fine, so there's overall power to the car.

Used the search function, but didn't find anything exactly like this (search term: bad ignition switch / gave me 11 pages of threads; I browsed the first three pages). As stated, since in the past I could jiggle the key and get it to work, but not this morning, I'm about 99.5% certain on the cause. Just want to get some feedback on whether or not there's anything else to think about.

Also, are there any "tricks" to removing/replacing the switch? I remember trying to get the rotor off the distributor, not knowing there was a set screw...that wasn't fun. But the help here got me through it.

Thanks alot in advance,
hank

EDIT: Researching the part online, I see there's the ignition cylinder (what the key actually goes into) and the harness behind it. Any thoughts on which is actually the culprit? Or should I just grab both and replace 'em?

Last edited:

hankmeister

5+ Year Member
All done

Turned out to be the ignition switch. Swapped it out, good to go.

best
Hank