Bad Wheel Bearing?

Ann_Vine

2005 Honda Civic Si Hatchback will make growling noise when vehicle is in motion. The noise will stop when rolling and steering wheel is moved to the left when switching lanes. I notice no other mechanical issues. When vehicle is at a stop and engine is reved the noise isn't there.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It should make a noise when only turning one way (if it's 1 wheel bearing).

Grab your wheel at 12 and 6 o'click and push/pull at opposite ends to see if there is movement. If it's just starting to go, you may not be able to feel anything. The most common way of noticing (AFAIK) is by sound.

Ann_Vine

It should make a noise when only turning one way (if it's 1 wheel bearing).

Grab your wheel at 12 and 6 o'click and push/pull at opposite ends to see if there is movement. If it's just starting to go, you may not be able to feel anything. The most common way of noticing (AFAIK) is by sound.
Well, It makes the growling noise when driving straight or veering to the right (as if switching lanes), but if you veer to the left the noise goes away. I will have to jack the vehicle up and feel for play in the front wheels. I will also drive in tight circles left and right and listen for noise as if it was a CV joint. Any other suggestions?

BillKisme

IM a Carbon Fiber whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
CV joint would make clicking sounds. if your hearing the Hum /grinding noise it might just be a bearing. AS John said jack the car up and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play in it.