Bamboo Pen...

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Okay so Im not really directing this thread in the "which brand is better", but you guys do this kind of stuff so Im asking for your help!!! The general topic is about the Bamboo Pen and Pad: http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen.php?gclid=CI2XhJipi6QCFV195QodlxaWLA

There are a couple different companies that make these, and a couple different options within those. But I want to know if you guys who actually work with photoshop, illustrator....those kinds of programs would actually USE something like this. My girlfriend is an Advertising Design major, and she works with these programs. I have thought about getting her one of these Pen and Pad type deals, as a surprise, but want to make sure its something useful and not just a novelty item. I really dont know s**t about these photoshop programs, and it seems like this Pen and Pad could really go either way.....so I really dont want to get her something thats just like "Oh yea, cool, I can rotate my pictures with this......" No I want to get her something USEFUL.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I love the Wacom company. I've always wanted one after messing around with the Intuos 12" one we had at my college. Made things A LOT easier.

My opinion: Get the Intuos line from Wacom if you can afford it. If you cannot afford those, then maybe the Bamboo Craft. When dealing with advertising, bigger is better for tablets.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Awesome, thanks Jason. I will definitely look into that company and their prices.

Anybody else have input? Anything you guys have to mention is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ive got a Wacom tablet and I love it!
it works consistently and it was really just plug in and play after the first installation of course.

Mines 5x7 but Im only a second year graphic design student. Ive used mine in Illustrator and Photoshop and its awesome for handdrawn lettering(my main use) and drawing. Its also kinda fun to just use to work the computer. It takes some time to get used to the pen, but after a little bit you get used to it.

If youre more concerned about cost, Bamboo would be better, since I believe wacom owns it. One of my friends here at school just got a Bamboo I think, and he hasnt had any complaints about it.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I took a look at them, and the Wacom large tablet may be a little expensive for me....but I think the medium sized tablet is within reason.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
At first I thought you were literally talking about a bamboo pen :lol:. But that stuff looks awesome!!! I'm sure we're not too far from the day stuff goes from physical to digital (ie - printing stuff for school to using "bamboo pen"'s and correcting on computers).

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I took a look at them, and the Wacom large tablet may be a little expensive for me....but I think the medium sized tablet is within reason.
I got mine refurbished actually, and it seemed brand new to me. You seriously never wouldve known if it werent for the sticker on the bottom that said it was haha.

Saved alot of money.. idk

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If this was for me, I would strongly consider that option. As this is for my girlfriend, I would much rather get it for her new.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol at first i was like wtf. wtf is a bamboo pen. then i looked at it and looks pretty legit.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i would never get anything but a wacom tablet. it works with freaking EVERYTHING. i use it mainly in photoshop and corel painter, but it works with illustrator and all that, too.

i had a small graphire4 which is what the bamboo line replaced. it's fine to start out with, but if it's something you're gonna use all the time (if her major requires her to do this sort of thing, for example), the intuos is 8392735029832 times better. the computer lab my digital art classes were in had 9x12 intuos3s.

i now have an intuos4 medium. it was just under $400 (but the intuos4 line was brand spanking new, so it might be a bit cheaper now, as that was last year). it has twice the sensitivity of the bamboo, making it more efficient and accurate. it also has more shortcut keys and useful features like an ipod type touch slider for zooming, moving layers, changing brush size, etc., and ctrl, shift, and alt buttons. the stylus is MUCH better than the shitty bamboo one, and it comes with five nibs. a few replacement ones and some others (which i have yet to use, actually).

i wouldn't wanna go wireless, either. it's like a PC gamer and mice. you want the fastest response. wired, ftw. the intuos4 uses a standard USB to mini USB, too, so you don't have to buy some weird, expensive cable if you have to replace it.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Wow, thanks a lot for the input. Great information! I wasnt necessarily saying I wanted to get her one from the Bamboo line, but thats what I saw in Best Buy and sparked the idea....I was simply using it as an example. But thank you very much for all that information. The medium seems to still run ~$400, which I really dont mind paying.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
it's definitely worth it. she'll be able to use it for a long time, and i don't imagine wacom will come out with a new line all that soon. :what:

this is shop talk for me, so... you're quite welcome. if you're curious about more tablet goodness, i'm up for questioning.. :lol: i'm curious what she'll say if you get it, so... update if you do it? XD