Battery, alternator, something else or nothing?

matt2122

5+ Year Member
Strange thing i have noticed recently;

99 LX i got back in may, noticed this only at night but impossible to tell in the day, and i know for the first few months i had it this never happend. here we go.......

if i am driving on the interstate, which is 95% of my driving dash lights and corner lights show no signs of being dim. however, if i get off of the highway and drive for a few minutes at any speed really under 3k rpm the dash lights will dim. if i downshift or speed up until either 3k or 3.5k rpm they will jump right back up to full brightness(there is no pattern to if 3 or 3.5 causes the spike, its just random)keep in mind this is THE ONLY RPM RANGE THAT CAUSES THIS JUMP IN BRIGHTNESS. so first thing i did was play around with the dimer know thing that since it's 10 years old i might be a little twitchy, that wasnt it. one night i came to a stop sign and turned off the headlights to see if the parking lights dim and they did, soon as i hit 3k they were normal, but under 3 they went dim. decided to check the voltage with car off and car on. 12~12.5 when off and 13.5~14 with the car running. that was tested with a multimeter and only at idle. yesterday i put in a 12v socket voltage meter that we use for our RV, it showed 13.5~14v 99% of the time, never less than 13 and only hit 14v when at high RPM. i have no idea what is causing this, alternator, battery, or something else. car starts fine, but now with the cooler days it sounds MAYBE a little slow cranking. dont really have much maintenance history on it but i do know that the battery is honda labeled, not sure of age yet. Anyone have any ideas?

A-TownCivic

5+ Year Member
do you have a stereo system which you may be blasting? Overall it sounds as if the battery is struggling to put out the amps that it needs. You're checking the votage while the car is at idle with no strains