Be Careful When Working On Your Car!!

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
So Wednesday at around 6:00 a call came in, a garage explosion with people inside. I didn't think twice until they said the address, which was my buddy's grandparent's house. When we got there the garage was fully engulfed in flames, with my buddy laying on the ground with skin just rolling off him. Come to find out he was removing the gas tank on his vintage car and must have created a spark and blew up right next to him. He is now in critical condition in Strong Hospital with 50% of his body burned, from his head to waist. What's worse is that his dad suffered a heart attack when he saw his son on fire. Doctors say that he is listed day to day, and recovery time is 3-4 months. Just wanted to remind everyone here to take safety precautions whenever working on your cars.
Here is a link to the article: http://fltimes.com/articles/2007/04/19/news/news01-01.txt

bcivichb

Driving South
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow thats horrible. i hope he will be ok

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there was a therad liek this before.

people need to be carefull

DjTripp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry to hear. I'll pray for your friend.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Geez, that's awful. Hope they both turn out ok.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is very very crappy....but on a side note you should always remove all gas from the tank before removing or working on it. Not saying your buddy is dumb are anything but a little knowledge will go along way.

Becareful feel car wrenchs. Jack stands are your best friend and i know its not the cool way to do things but always read your manual before doing stuff that might be dangerous, and if you fill over your head with a project dont do it!!!

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
so.... he tried to remove a fuel tank.... with fuel still in it?

wow

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I'm not sure if there was any fuel in it or not, remember that just the fumes and a tiny amount can cause an explosion. There were also gas cans and another car in the garage at the time.

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
liquid fuel doesnt burn...its the fumes

ryanM

werd be careful, the other day we were finishing a swap in my friends 240 and some jackass lowered the tranny jack when i was still under there, the driveshaft slipped out and i got slammed in the face by the yoke of the shaft (big part with like 12 bolts sticking out) busted my eye and cheek open. hurt like a mother f**ker but chicks dig scars.

BE CAREFUL!

soldiaboy

343 FDNY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn thats horrible, this guy i knew was working under a car with a floor jack w/o the top plate and the car fell on him and died

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
:cry: i feel very sympathetic for peple when i hear about freak accidents happening like this, and this is what i get when i click the link

We apologise for the inconvenience but we are currently performing scheduled maintenance. The maintenance window is from 2:30AM CDT untill 6:30AM CDT although we hope to have services restored sooner. Please try back in a few moments.

see if you can find us another article

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Found out today that he can see out of both of his eyes, and is able to recognize when people are in the room. Also he has feeling in 9/10 fingers which is really good, they might have to amputate the 10th one because of no feeling. The doctors are worried about his lungs though because of the hot air he breathed in, damaged a spot on one.