Been AWHILE!...but question...

zville00SI

CC's Smart ASS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys... I haven't been on here for literally YEARS.... used to own a 2000 civic si, but have since changed to a 1995 M3... It's pretty much maxed out on bolt ons. Im probably making around 230whp. But, sadly, I'm bored. So I bought a JB racing lightweight flywheel and Stage IV Clutchmasters ceramic clutch to go with my new Stage I AA C38 Stage I supercharger.

Here is my question... whether its hondas or BMWs, everyone experiences heat soak. Do you guys think I'll be safe running my stage I kit WITHOUT an intercooler, aftercooler, injection kit in this Florida heat without sacrificing a significant amount of power? I really don't want to spend anymore money than I have to.

Its good to be back on here guys. Hopefully you can help me out!

CR

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think its a good idea to boost without upgrading cooling.

zville00SI

CC's Smart ASS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've already got a BMW motorsports front mount oil cooler... after banging on the car hard for awhile, the oil temp SITS at 180 degrees. Its a really good setup. The Stage I kit also comes with an oil cooler so I may run dual, I'm not sure. So I'm not too worried about cooling the engine, just worrying about the SC struggling to compress the incoming air because it's so hot. A lot of people have told me I won't notice it if I'm not tracking the car (which I'm not), but others have said I will just sitting in traffic.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I dont know how much compression the m3 has, but its about detonation and keeping your intake temp down to avoid/minimize that. The florida heat doesnt help. Hell you have to get it tuned right? So slap it on there and dont beat on it until its tuned and then you will know if you need an intercooler, or you can swap pullies and run less boost to keep it safe until you have the funds/time or whatever you need to do so. It will heatsoak to any degree, its right where all the heat is and sitting in traffic with no airflow it will happen. Get out on the freeway and it may be just fine, I think just bolting it up and driving casual will not hurt anything.

zville00SI

CC's Smart ASS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ Thanks for the detailed response! I think that's what I will do. Have PSI in Orlando install it and tune the car. Drive it around for a couple months and see what I'm dealing with. If power isn't significantly hurt, I'll stick with the stage I. If power suffers greatly, and I desperately need stage II or an intercooler, I'll bite the bullet and do it. At least by that time I'll have saved some money.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
To be honest youre just not on the right forum, an M3 forum would know what they will do better than most of us because we are speaking in general terms of what should be okay and what might not be okay. I seriously believe you will be okay just driving around but like any untuned car there is still danger, well like with any modified car there is the danger, we cant be certain about everything.

zville00SI

CC's Smart ASS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To be honest youre just not on the right forum, an M3 forum would know what they will do better than most of us because we are speaking in general terms of what should be okay and what might not be okay. I seriously believe you will be okay just driving around but like any untuned car there is still danger, well like with any modified car there is the danger, we cant be certain about everything.
Thanks. Yeah I've been on Bimmerforums since 07 when I bought my first BMW. I just figured I'd see what kind of input you guys had. Thanks again!