best D series for boost?

1Vinny

i got a d16y7 in the 00 coupe and plan to go vtec then boost question is which head should i go with? z6 y8 or find a d16y8 and rebuilt then swap in later

this is my DD so add that in to the factor and i want to be pushin probably 10-15 lbs

i hear y8 pistons have lower compression or is that the y7 < some clarification please

any info on whats best to build for boost would help thxs.....

ekking

i'm not to sure but i am thinken about boost my y7 cx hb..seen it's pretty slow with low hp..i think boost would be nice and sleeper like

d16y7 98 dx

d16y7 98 dx
i would personally go with the d16y8 or the d16y5. y8 stock has 127hp and y5 has 115.

i dont know if this will help any, but go to d16y7.com and scroll down to the 2nd paragraph where it starts saying "higher compression etc etc" and it will tell you about the piston compressions a little bit and wat u can do.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
y8 head on a y7 block

10-15 psi..what size turbo do you want to run? that might be alot on a stock motor

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
y8 FTW!
That's what I'm currently in the process of doing.

gizmox122

h2bcivic
5+ Year Member
i'd stick with the Y7 block and slap on the y8 head. Just make sure you remove the oil passage plug from the y7 block. I've done a few swaps like this myself with a greddy bolt on kit

Kooz

d16y7 has 9.4:1 compression
d16y8 has 9.6:1 compression
virtually the same

y8's are better versions of the y7, of course. if you have a d16y7 series and want to build without swapping the engine, just use a y8 intake/exhaust manifold, and throttle body. BUT make sure you use the y7 injectors or else you will run rich.
For daily driving only a few pounds of boost will keep you in your seat, and your engine in one piece. 5-7 is good for stock internals.

also, your saying you want to go vtec? you are much better off with the non-vtec y7 head and running a more aggressive camshaft. vtec is for high RPM power and driveabilty/efficiency.
however if daily driving is the case, mineswell get the y8 head/intake/exhaust. more efficient and you got some power

1Vinny

d16y7 has 9.4:1 compression
d16y8 has 9.6:1 compression
virtually the same

y8's are better versions of the y7, of course. if you have a d16y7 series and want to build without swapping the engine, just use a y8 intake/exhaust manifold, and throttle body. BUT make sure you use the y7 injectors or else you will run rich.
For daily driving only a few pounds of boost will keep you in your seat, and your engine in one piece. 5-7 is good for stock internals.

also, your saying you want to go vtec? you are much better off with the non-vtec y7 head and running a more aggressive camshaft. vtec is for high RPM power and driveabilty/efficiency.
however if daily driving is the case, mineswell get the y8 head/intake/exhaust. more efficient and you got some power
so im thinking about just boosting now without vtec yeah and probably get the y8 intake manifold/throttle body

will the y7 injectors fit the y8 rail? plug and play?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
will the y7 injectors fit the y8 rail? plug and play?
Yes. They are a plug and play.

if you plan on boosting soon though and what a cheaper alternative for bigger injectors. Look for DSM 450cc injectors and a resister box.

Glad you stuck to the y7. Alot less hassle to just gain 10hp when going with the Vtec head swap when you can just slap on your turbo kit and then tune it and call it a day.

d16devin

a z6 head is better than a y8. The y7 bottom end is def the most resilient of the 3 though. it can take a beating. the z6 is better for boost because it is already 9.2:1 compression and of course thats what youre after. id get a remanufactured z6 head thats slightly shaved and with a 3 or 5angle valve job (about $240 total) then do a turbo camshaft (bisimoto), a cometic headgasket, and ARP head studs and bolts (that is a MUST) on it. only then would i go boost it. youd add close to 15-20whp with just the z6 vtec while upping the TQ, youd lower compression significantly with the internals and gasket. still if you want to push 10+ psi then you better not want to keep that bottom end stock...cuz i guarantee it wont hold up under that for every long.

d16devin

the best d-series builder in the world (hands down) is bisimoto. do some research on his builds. he follows a few simple patterns that work and are attainable. he def starts turbo builds with a z6 though like any smaret builder would.

...and his war wagon (youtube it) is seriously the sickest D build ive ever seen. a z6 engine with a turbonetics godzilla boosting it. 724 whp on 91 octane gas. the guy is a genius. best d-series parts $ can buy too. that kinda s**t shouldnt even be possible

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
straight up 1Vinny, do it right. I have the impression that you want boost asap and asap is the cheap way. I say forget about stock internals on a boosted engine..... take a whole year saving $$$$ and learning and build it right. In the end you'll have the peace of mind knowing that if you want, you can take your D to past 8k RPMs and not worrie about it at all...

I say, get a y8 LONG BLOCK, and rebuild it. Use the same crank, all new seals from honda, eagle rods, CP/WISECO/JE/or w/e aftermarket pistons (not the cheap s**t), honda bearings (or acl race), rebuilt y8 head (or you can build it too), blox/skunk2 intake mani for a y8, b16 TB is good enough, then you choose your turbo...... check out turbod16.com