Best tire size for 16' and 15' rims?

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey guys I have a quick question. What tire size do you guys recommend for 16' rims? I picked up some 16' Rota C10's in FRSB and next step is the tires! My car is currently lowered with some Skunk2 lowering springs. What size do you guys think is best? I was looking for low profile and nothing too beefy. Also same thing for 15' rims what do you guys think is the best size? Thanks doe readin.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you want the same overall radius as an OE tire

Plus sizing is one of the easiest ways to achieve enhanced performance and improve the appearance of your vehicle. In the example below, a 15x7 wheel with a 205/65R-15 tire is considered the O.E. (original equipment) size. Converting to a plus one size would mean increasing the wheel diameter by one inch (16x7.5) and selecting an appropriate tire to fit (225/55R-16). Likewise, moving to a plus two fitment would result in a 17x8 wheel and a 245/45R-17 tire. It is important to note that although the wheel diameter is increasing, the overall diameter of the tire remains consistent.
Plus Sizing Wheels Graphic
Two things happen to the tire to increase performance when moving into plus sizes. First, the tire becomes wider due to an increase in section width. This provides a larger footprint and more contact with the driving surface. Second, the aspect ratio is lower, resulting in a shorter sidewall. The combination of these changes offers better lateral stability and increased steering response.

15 = 195/55
16 = 205/45

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have seen a lot of the jap tuners that make track and time attack cars use something like the above recommended (205/45/16 or 225/40/17) in the front and something smaller to balance the rear weight (such as 195/55/16s with 16 or 17's in the front) never tried it myself but it seems to be the way they go and they know more than i do. I even saw a 255/40/17 in the front on one CTR track car with some ridiculous 20 kg/mm spring rate coilovers, it was wonderful.

Thebearded_1

Total n00b
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the tein s tech springs on my 97ex and I have a set of 195/60 R15s and they scrub like a b***h.... If you're going with anything more than the 1.75" drop you get with the s techs, I wouldn't recommend going with anything bigger than a 195/45 R15 or 205/40 R16..... That's just my opinion, and what I will be getting as soon as money comes my way.

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool cool thanks for the replies guys! Is there a specific brand you guys recommend?

Thebearded_1

Total n00b
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool cool thanks for the replies guys! Is there a specific brand you guys recommend?
I prefer hankooks.. They last a decent amount of time, and ride pretty smooth for me... I'm not going out and racing or anything though so not sure what others may recommend.

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I heard if you don't have a front/back camber kit you have to get different sized tires?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
15's: 195/55 or 205/50
16's: 205/45

Go to 6th gen members rides and look at my thread if you want to see what 205/45/16 looks like. If you're lowered a good amount, prepare to either roll your fenders or get some high offset wheels (if you get a wider tire). My rear wheels rub on hard corners or big bumps and I'm lowered about 2-2.5 inches with +42 offset wheels.

Tire brand is all up to you. Read reviews, look around. I got Yokohoma S. Drives and absolutely love them.

Sprint_2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
K I'm gonna search for ur thread and take a peek ^^^
Thanks for all the info people! Post pix here if u guys have some! =)

FreeOfThoughts

The joy of driving
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tires are a lot of what you pay for, i have some potenzas that were pretty expensive but they grip awesome and last a while, lots of research and good tread compound. For a lot less the Toyo Proxes 4's are about as good and i would recommend both tires highly. (i have 205/40/17's and rub if i try to drop more than about 2.5 in.)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there's like a ton of other threads like this, you really need to look through them.

i always recommend:
195/50/15 or 205/50/15
205/45/16

yokohama ftw

Last edited:

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
16 foot wheels!?!?!? holy s**t!!!