best transmission setup?????

alexcivic99

I have a 99 civic ex coupe with a jdm d15b 3stage vtec motor n head running on stock d16y8 ecu and tranny.. the only aftermarket parts I have are an AEM Sri, apexi exhaust and a skunk2 intake manifold..I have lost both 3rd n 4th gear on my tranny n the clutch is starting 2 slip so my question is what would be my best setup 2 matchup with the motor n mods I have.. I plan 2 purchase either a stage 1 or 2 clutch kit and a lighter flywheel as well.. my options at the present time are either buying a s40 (stock) or buying the matching jdm transmission that corresponds with my d15b... Any suggestions as to wht 2 purchase or if anybody out there knows more about this please I would greatly appreciate the feedback... Thanks..

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I plan 2 purchase either a stage 1 or 2 clutch kit and a lighter flywheel as well..
For your mods and the amount of power you have, I'd just get an OEM Exedy clutch and not bother wasting money on the stage 2, unless you plan on some other major "power" upgrades in the future.

Any suggestions as to wht 2 purchase or if anybody out there knows more about this please I would greatly appreciate the feedback... Thanks..

Not too much difference in the ratios, I'd just find a stock y8 trans.

d16y8 trans:
1st: 3.250
2nd: 1.909
3rd: 1.250
4th: 0.909
5th: 0.702
Reverse: 3.153
Final Drive: 4.250

JDM d15b vtec transmission with or w/out LSD
1st: 3.250
2nd: 1.900
3rd: 1.250
4th: 0.909
5th: 0.750
Reverse: 3.153
Final Drive: 4.250

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
^^ since thats the case just get a d16y8 tranny, just get a clutch of your choice (like he said oem), and get some good tranny fluid and you should be good..... just think, shes a Honda... she can take it! =)

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just get a oem replacement clutch, new throw out bearing, pressure plate, get oem man. trans fluid, and just get a trans that doesnt grind. d series trans are cheap and to get it rebuild if you pay someone would buy about 5 used ones lol