Better Handling

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What about H&R OE springs? aren't those supposed to be stiffer but a mild .25" to .75" drop?
I think i remember hearing about at least a couple companies that made similar springs. I just don't remember which.

EDIT:
Looking for the H&R OE i found this:
http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguide.php?Mode=Make+Guide&SubMode=Find3&MakeID=13

looks like they don't make 7th gen OE springs and seems like if the car didn't come with rear sway bar it can't be added. Of course you can't ALWAYS trust sites like this, but maybe true.
The H&R OE springs seem to be a little stiffer than the Tein H-Techs, but not by much. With these springs offering such a mild drop, if his cars stock springs have "sagged" at all, there could be almost no change at all in ride height. Just not worth the money IMO.

Honda uses pretty much identical subframes for all of their Civics. Except for this generation which the Si's are hatch backs and a little different. But, the rest are the same. I did see in my search that the LX model comes with a front sway bar which means there should atleast be mounting points for a swaybar for this model. I know I've seen Civics of this generation with rear swaybars at AutoX events.

Progress makes a front and rear swaybar for these cars...
http://www.progressauto.com/products/searchType/vehicleSearch/year/2004/make/Honda/model/Civic/productID/578
http://www.progressauto.com/products/searchType/vehicleSearch/year/2004/make/Honda/model/Civic/productID/410

VTEC =o

Bad MoFo
If you are just driving the car back and forth to work, then I wouldnt worry about it. Its not really that big of a deal if you're just daily driving. Now if you were tuning the car and racing, then yea, but back and forth to work....I wouldnt waste the money.

djyohimbe

I can almost be certain your car has a factory front swaybar. Doing a little research, it seems like it may be around 25mm.

You very well may not have a stock rear bar, but, I can again almost be certain that you have the holes and controls arms to mount one. I highly doubt you'll have to do anything to put one on. Should be a fairly basic bolt on mod for your car.
No swaybars, front or rear. There appears to be a mounting hole on each front control arm, but that's it. No holes in the rear whatsoever.

Because the CNG tank is so heavy and the engine so weak they pulled CRX HF move and stripped the car down to make it lighter.

So I guess I'm stuck with just springs....

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No swaybars, front or rear. There appears to be a mounting hole on each front control arm, but that's it. No holes in the rear whatsoever.

Because the CNG tank is so heavy and the engine so weak they pulled CRX HF move and stripped the car down to make it lighter.

So I guess I'm stuck with just springs....
I'm sure if you took it to a shop they might be able to do it for you. Probably more hassle than its worth though.
It sucks that you can't just add the sway bar though.

How is the fuel efficiency on that car anyway?
I guess best measure would be miles/dollar.....?

djyohimbe

How is the fuel efficiency on that car anyway?
I guess best measure would be miles/dollar.....?
I get about 33mpg and pay $2.25 a gallon, and I get to drive in the HOV lane--the big benefit!

The car has a 100HP motor, which is why I need better handling--so I can accelerate on the ramps and be at 65 by the time I'm on the freeway.

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I get about 33mpg and pay $2.25 a gallon, and I get to drive in the HOV lane--the big benefit!

The car has a 100HP motor, which is why I need better handling--so I can accelerate on the ramps and be at 65 by the time I'm on the freeway.
How many gallons to fill? I heard only 8 gallons due to compression.
Either way using the HOV is a huge benifit. Not only do you save gas by not having that stop and go, you get where you need to go quicker!

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your engine is more than capable of getting up to highway speeds quickly enough. If you're trying to improve handling to take on ramps faster you are out of your mind and going to end up flying off of the road. Unless something is mechanically wrong, the handling on a stock Civic no matter what the model is still better than almost any mid or full-size vehicle. If not being able to merge onto the highway is your problem, none of the modifications being discussed are going to help you whatsoever.

djyohimbe

How many gallons to fill? I heard only 8 gallons due to compression.
Either way using the HOV is a huge benifit. Not only do you save gas by not having that stop and go, you get where you need to go quicker!
Yes, the tank only has about 220 mile range, so I fill up twice as often. But I still save tons of time and stress.