Bhikku's '96 DX Hatch

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
This being my first honda i figured i'd record how it started and as it changes.

What she is: 1996 DX hatch 199k miles, stock from top to bottom.

I was surprised about the decent shape the body and interior was in. Some chipped paint, tiny dent in the front driver's side fender, but not half rotted to hell. Interior was clean, seats aren't the comfiest thing but after a couple of decades of ass cheeks planted in them, it's to be expected.

The stock D16Y7 and the bay seem clean and well maintained, the bay could use a shave and tuck but im way too inexperienced to get started on that project right now. The lack or any customization on the car/engine made me pretty confident that it hadn't been too beaten on and raced, not that you'd want to in a stock d16y7 anyway...

Current Plans:
--AUX input is not working on the stereo, so i'll be replacing that or repairing it.

--The small dent in the bumper im going to try and pop out, gotta figure out how to take out the fender liner first....

--Front and hatch speakers are going to be replaced after this next paycheck i hope, need something with a bit more clarity and oomph, standby Crutchfield....

--Muffler is a bit dented and rusty, might get something minimal and OEM-like to stick on there for aesthetics...

--Would love to have some newer seats in there, either racing or something from Acura.

--Still up in the air about wheels. Thought about throwing some paint on the steelies and seeing how that looks until i can get some LS meshes or some tasteful enkeis or something....

--And very importantly, the shocks and springs are squeaky and need to be replaced. this is my DD so im not gonna slam it on coils, but im thinking tien S springs and some koni yellows.

I don't really have a certain direction i'm headed with this thing, but i'm open to criticism and ideas. =)

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do not paint the steelies. Find some gsr blades or mesh wheels and call it a day.

Car looks great other than that.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
This thing is so fresh I'd keep it simple with the mods. This would be fun to Autocross.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Current Plans:
--Would love to have some newer seats in there, either racing or something from Acura.
You may also want to consider '02-'06 Insight seats, if they suit your taste.

--Still up in the air about wheels. Thought about throwing some paint on the steelies and seeing how that looks until i can get some LS meshes or some tasteful enkeis or something....
Adding the snap-on chrome lip on the steelies wouldnt be a bad inexpensive option either.

--And very importantly, the shocks and springs are squeaky and need to be replaced. this is my DD so im not gonna slam it on coils, but im thinking tien S springs and some koni yellows.
Thats a great option. You'd be very satisfied.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Man is that thing clean. And as stated above, don't paint steelies.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Do not paint the steelies. Find some gsr blades or mesh wheels and call it a day.

Car looks great other than that.
I wouldn't normally, but they're just an ugly dull metal color right now with a little bit of rust on them, and i don't think it'd look too terrible flat or gloss black. nothing like green or pink lol. and thanks :>
This thing is so fresh I'd keep it simple with the mods. This would be fun to Autocross.
Yeah it hasn't been molested or riced and i intend to keep it that way. Autocross would be fun, i wouldn't mind doing some of that
You may also want to consider '02-'06 Insight seats, if they suit your taste.

Adding the snap-on chrome lip on the steelies wouldnt be a bad inexpensive option either.

Thats a great option. You'd be very satisfied.
Yeah i saw those insight sights in your build, i've been scanning craigslist keeping my eye out for some ever since lol. snap ons would look sick if i threw some black paint on the steelies.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Man is that thing clean. And as stated above, don't paint steelies.
I guess that's the general consensus, i should probably listen to the advise given then. no paint on the steelies lol:lol:

Found 2000 acura TL wheels, maybe i'll pick those up as a temporary solution if they'll fit.

they're 16"s which is about as big as i'd like to go, and i think they'd look decent, but i guess i'd need an adapter since they're 5 lug right?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wouldn't normally, but they're just an ugly dull metal color right now with a little bit of rust on them, and i don't think it'd look too terrible flat or gloss black. nothing like green or pink lol. and thanks :>
I guess that's the general consensus, i should probably listen to the advise given then. no paint on the steelies lol:lol:
Dont worry about consensus opinion if you like it and it doesnt make you look ridiculous,which it wont. If you like the chrome rimmed steelies look then just do it. The rings are cheap and respraying steelies is easy. Then you save money until you make a definitive decision on rims you like.

Yeah i saw those insight sights in your build, i've been scanning craigslist keeping my eye out for some ever since lol. snap ons would look sick if i threw some black paint on the steelies.
Ha! Thats funny. Well, make sure to check on eBay as well. You can find some great deals sometimes without having to drive anywhere. You're more likely to find them on eBay than you will on Craigslist. Not too many Insight owners partake in part-outs.

Found 2000 acura TL wheels, maybe i'll pick those up as a temporary solution if they'll fit. they're 16"s which is about as big as i'd like to go, and i think they'd look decent, but i guess i'd need an adapter since they're 5 lug right?
Those 5-lugs would require you to change the lug pattern, which would be costly and nullify saving any money in the short term.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Yeah i'll just look for the right lug pattern, unless i get a deal on some works wheels or something nice lol. if i can get the steelies to look like stock black ones that's all i would do, otherwise yeah it'll look like trash.

i think i might try to polish them first, im not sure if that texture will even take a shine though....

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you paint the steelies, paint them to look brand new from the factory. I wouldn't want to put another oem wheel like gsr blades or ls meshes because it just catches the attention of thieves, making them think there may be something else there worth stealing. Just my opinion

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
If you paint the steelies, paint them to look brand new from the factory. I wouldn't want to put another oem wheel like gsr blades or ls meshes because it just catches the attention of thieves, making them think there may be something else there worth stealing. Just my opinion
Yeah if i were to paint them it would just be a flat/gloss black.

and yeah i bet the thieves would be pretty bummed to discover it was just a dx, although im sure it'd still be stripped and sold.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
found these:

how would that look? i've seen white wheels on red hatches before just not that specific wheel, but i could always do them black or something....

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
wow that actually looks pretty clean, the wheels are $150 which seems like a decent deal if they aren't bent and rashed up.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
those pics above are of different wheels. 7 spokes vs 8. The HX's will look nice but if you aren't big for keeping your car clean i'd stay away from white. I can clean my car/rims and take a quick drive and the wheels will be dirty again.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
those pics above are of different wheels. 7 spokes vs 8. The HX's will look nice but if you aren't big for keeping your car clean i'd stay away from white. I can clean my car/rims and take a quick drive and the wheels will be dirty again.
Yeah good call, i could always strip them and go black on them.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Rocking the grill-less look until i decide on which one i want to replace the old chipped up stock one: