Big NooB Question

jcsm90

KiNg
5+ Year Member
car started ocver heating on the way back home
guessing it that there was no radiator fluid
so i checked and it was full

so i removed the top and i dont see that black rubber hose thing thats usually connected under the cap
so since its not there im guessing thats why its over heating cause no fluid is going into the radiator?
yes or no?

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
False. I dont believe that because that little hose is missing you would overheat. That's an overflow tank, meaning that when the coolant expands (due to heat) it goes there, when it cools and returns to its normal temp/volume, it goes back into the system via that little hose. But apparently you have enough coolant in the system so idk... its definitely not the that hose, get one or make one, btw...

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ej8kid, doubtfull its the HG cause he said there's no oil in his coolant and no coolant in his oil.

OP, did you check behind/under the dash (where hot coolant flows thru in order to warm up the interior when you select it with the knob)? You could have a leak in there but then again, if ur coolant is empty, and its leaking inside the car, you'd smell it but it doesnt hurt to check!

JDM_SPEC_SI-R

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that res tank is there to catch the extra fluid coming out of the radiator. its like a catch can...almost. it stores extra fluid if there is too much and also sucks in fluid if it needs it. you probably need it thats why you are over heating. it cant get to that extra fluid you have reserved.
you may not have enough fluid in your system and thus causing air and leading to over heating. see how this causes a chain reaction.
try to get a new hose....like at lowes or hd before taking all your s**t apart. im 85% sure thats it... ive ran into every over heating problem possible....its no fun

RonJ

Banned
Yes, you absolutely need the hose that runs between the radiator cap and reservoir. Almost certainly if you remove the radiator cap (when the engine is cool), the coolant level in the radiator is low. Replace the hose, fill the cooling system with coolant, and then bleed the cooling system.

Boricuapr_1

5+ Year Member
Replace the hose from the cap to the reservoir, check for leaks anywhere, make sure your radiator is properly filled and the reservoir after you replace the missing hose, remove spark plugs to see if you have any coolant in the pistons this is cause by bad head gasket do all this while the engine is cold to minimize accidents and start with the easiest one first
Good luck

Boogie9IGN

5+ Year Member
Did you notice any white smoke coming out your tailpipe?

Same thing happened to me last week and it turned out to be not only was a heater hose all messed up, but I had a blown hg. You can do a pressure test (I think that's what it's called) to check if coolant is leaking out of any of the hoses

bluespyder

5+ Year Member
check the hoses for leaks, check thermostat u might have a clog.start with the small stuff first n work ur way up.does the fan come on?

jcsm90

KiNg
5+ Year Member
that res tank is there to catch the extra fluid coming out of the radiator. its like a catch can...almost. it stores extra fluid if there is too much and also sucks in fluid if it needs it. you probably need it thats why you are over heating. it cant get to that extra fluid you have reserved.
you may not have enough fluid in your system and thus causing air and leading to over heating. see how this causes a chain reaction.
try to get a new hose....like at lowes or hd before taking all your s**t apart. im 85% sure thats it... ive ran into every over heating problem possible....its no fun
fixed! thanks alot bro and thanks to everyone else comments