Block cracked?

Jolting

I have a 1997 Civic DX D16y7 168k. I was doing a timing belt change and I have to take off the whole motor mount bracket on the front lower side. (Had to take this whole thing off due to broken bolts). When I took out a lower bolt on it, oil began to pour out of the hole. I don't think this is normal, but I'm not really sure. The mechanic helping me thinks that I could have a crack. Also that whole area has oil caked over everything.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, that's not normal if that is what you are asking. If you are asking if the block is cracked there is physically NO way we would know that by words posted on a forum.

Clean off the area and look for a crack or strip it down and take it to some one to have it hot tanked and checked. Nothing we can really do here to be honest.

Jolting

Thank you for the response. Basically I was asking if it was normal to have oil pour out of that spot. I'm going to just assume the block has some sort of damage as well when you stand there and just watch oil pour out of a bolt hole for a few moments, and it isn't supposed to do that, well there has to be damage somewhere. Someone told me that civics could very well normally have oil come out of that spot. I was taking what they said with a grain of salt though.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take some pics of where it is coming out and post 'em up.

Jolting

I highlighted with red the spot.

This is the best I can do, as my camera on my phone blows and I don't have anything else. Also it is in a pretty bad spot to get to.