Blower motor

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
My blower motor is on its last leg. I got a friend dropping one off from a del sol. Has anyone replaced one? Do I have to remove the hole dash or can I get to it from hanging upside down under the dash?

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

serversurfer

I need to do the same job, actually, though it's a long way down my list, so I haven't done it yet. Anyway, looking at the Helm's manual, it looks like you can pull the heater duct/evaporator and blower assembly by simply removing the glovebox and glovebox frame.

In fact, the blower motor fits in to the bottom of the blower assembly, so it's possible that you don't even need to pull the whole assembly. It's mostly a question of whether you'd have enough room to get the blower out and in while the assembly is still mounted on the car.

In any case, you certainly don't need to pull the whole dash apart. At minimum, I'd say you'll have to pull the glovebox, and at most, you'll also need to pull the duct and blower assembly.

Post back and let me know how it goes! =)

kwiks93

I have a 93 coupe and all I had to do was take the three screws out and the motor and squirrel cage came out together. Unplug the motor swap the cage if needed and reinstall. It's easy and you dont have to take out anything. Only ones that you have to remove anything on that I remember are Preludes cause you have to remove the ecu and bracket. Let me know if that helps

95CTR

52mpg? I do it all day.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can do it with out taking out the whole dash, but it will be easier if you do atleast remove the glove box

i got to enjoy seeing all thoes parts and messing with them when i pulled my dash from the donor car

serversurfer

bah Turns out that someone had replaced the blower before me, and the one they got had a couple of wires instead of a recepticle for the plug, so they cut off the plug and spliced the wires together. Trouble is, my motor does have the recepticle for the plug, which I don't have, of course. Anyone know exactly what that plug is called and where I can get one? I'm wondering if maybe I should just go to Pick 'n Pull and yank one off of another Civic.

FWIW, I was able to pull the old blower without removing anything. The only tough part was actually wedging myself between the floor and the underside of the dash. Oh, and removing the screws that Captain Retardo had stripped. ><

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
That's good to know. I haven't had the time to do mine yet. Luckily mine is still working.. Since I'm 6'4" I'll be removing the passanger seat

serversurfer

heh Well, I'm 6'2" and 240 lb., so it's not like you can't get to it. It just requires a little contorting. Still, it looks like it's fairly easy to remove the seat, so that's certainly an option as well. =)

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
4 bolts to remove the seat. I think there 12mm. I've had them out plenty of times

serversurfer

Thanks for the tip on pulling the seat. It definitely made installing the new blower a lot easier. :lol:

I yanked a plug down at Pick 'n Pull and I'm back in business. Even got a lens for my dope light, and it only cost me $3.46 total. =)