Blue Gauge Lights

Blacksnake52

Stock Civic Dude
5+ Year Member
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody knew what type of blue lights I would need to make my gauges blue, as in what part number/brand. Also, I was wondering if LEDs would work better than regular bulbs, or do I have no choice?

They are for an '01 EX Sedan. Any info will be useful.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
what guages are you talking about? your cluster? your stereo?

Blacksnake52

Stock Civic Dude
5+ Year Member
I'm talking about the cluster, stereo doesn't really matter to me, only the actual cd player has colored lighting.
The climate control knobs are all white backlit, so that is fine.

myinca

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used the leds for the climate controls, and the gauge overlay from some online store for the speedo. they have an overlay that is exactly the same as stock but blue instead. so you dont have to waste time running new lights. i know people who ran leds behind the speedo had problems with hot spots and gettin the light uniform. the lights behind the speedo i believe have a rubber cap over the bulb that is colored. so you can just get the rubber overlays from a stage lighting store.

what colors do yours light up now?

Blacksnake52

Stock Civic Dude
5+ Year Member
Right now, my speedo cluster and climate controls all light up basically clear/white, except for the needles and redline, which come out red.
Do you remember where you got the cluster overlay? Cause that seems like a good idea.
If LEDs work for the climate controls, I might do that anyway, even though I wasn't planning on it.

Thanks for the pic though, that is pretty much exactly what i want mine to look like.
Those don't look like stock tach or speedo markings, did the overlay change the style of the numbers?

myinca

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no those have the same markings, just added color in some other spots. but no i dont remeber where i got them from. alot of places call them el glow gauges. so search for that. and just go thru a tuner mag and search all the advertised websites. if i come across it ill let you know. and try ledautomotive.com for the led climate control

pon55

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no those have the same markings, just added color in some other spots. but no i dont remeber where i got them from. alot of places call them el glow gauges. so search for that. and just go thru a tuner mag and search all the advertised websites. if i come across it ill let you know. and try ledautomotive.com for the led climate control
Now if you put a blue led in your cupholder your water bottle will light up blue too:lol::lol:

(I remember somebody on 7thgen did it, looked crazy)

1Draw

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is wicked, I wish I could get those on my 6th Gen

Blacksnake52

Stock Civic Dude
5+ Year Member
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys, i'll see what I can find.
If anyone finds any good links for this stuff in the meantime, let me know.
One last question though, I found the EL gauge overlay, but it says 2001 EX Auto only. I have a manual, and I don't see any difference between the auto or manual gauges, does anyone know what this might be about?

aznryguy

5+ Year Member
myinca that is really nice how much did it cost for everything, where did you buy all the parts and where did you bring it to get installed?

myinca

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Now if you put a blue led in your cupholder your water bottle will light up blue too:lol::lol:

(I remember somebody on 7thgen did it, looked crazy)
haha yeah you can get that in the scion tc from the factory.

That is wicked, I wish I could get those on my 6th Gen
it's been done before you just needa search. im sure u can do it the same way as on the 7thgen. look on ledautomotive.com

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys, i'll see what I can find.
If anyone finds any good links for this stuff in the meantime, let me know.
One last question though, I found the EL gauge overlay, but it says 2001 EX Auto only. I have a manual, and I don't see any difference between the auto or manual gauges, does anyone know what this might be about?
the auto just leaves space for the D R N 1 etc stuff. the manual ones cover that

myinca that is really nice how much did it cost for everything, where did you buy all the parts and where did you bring it to get installed?
didnt cost much at all. ledautomotive.com for the kits to do the ac controls. then online store for the gauges. i installed everything. not hard.

Bzart

5+ Year Member
Nice job myinca. I just started to change out my lights to blue leds too. I found cheap leds from Besthongkong.com. I plan on using led strips for the gauge cluster, I need a new one any way from a failed experiment with lights a few months ago.

If any body needs 330 ohm resistors to connect leds to 12 volts pm me your address. I ordered 750 on accident.

Bzart

5+ Year Member
Yeah I thought that they were $0.50 each, turns out it was 50 for $0.50.

myinca

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I thought that they were $0.50 each, turns out it was 50 for $0.50.
haha damn......yeah i could have done mine cheaper, but the kit was just more convienent, it cam with everything i needed.

the only thing with the leds for the gauges is trying to get even or uniform light. you have to spend alot of time with filters and s**t to get it even.

Bzart

5+ Year Member
Great site, the install instructions are just what I need. I did not see the cluster overlay there, or was that from another site.

myinca

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
cluster overlay was from another site. just open any tuner mag and go to those websites and it'll be in there. or search el glow gauges or reverse glow gauges on yahoo.