bolts coming off! help!

techavluis

Registered VIP
the bolts that hold the turbo to the manifold keep coming off. is there a glue like lock tight that will hold up to the heat of the exhaust? am already using a lock wisher..... (the pic does show the gasket blow out but the new one didn't and bolts come off 2 times already)

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
i had that happen a bunch. I finally took the mani off and along with my turbine housing had the mating surfaces machined flat. i put a little exhaust gasket maker on the manifold/turbo flange and called it good. the last time i took the turbo off my manifold wasn't for a loose nut but for upgrades. good luck

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Try some high heat thread lock... I think at the parts store it's the red kind (they have different colors for different applications).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have this same damn problem! It's an annoyance to be honest.. I haven't found a solution yet though :/

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
finally took the mani off and along with my turbine housing had the mating surfaces machined flat. i put a little exhaust gasket maker on the manifold/turbo flange and called it good.

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
i would re-tap the threads to a finer setup more strength per square inch.get a locking washer and use red locktite gel.

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
really? that is a terrible answer
1st of all it shouldnt come loose if you tighten it up good. you probarly put on the manifold, then put on turbo, then use a wrench to try 2 tight it up. its best if the manifold and turbo is off the car and then tighten it up. or how about go with a name brand manifold? get like a drag cast iron instead of that EBAY manifold.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try some high heat thread lock... I think at the parts store it's the red kind (they have different colors for different applications).
^^^this. guys at work also use hot bolt paste for this type of stuff.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1st of all it shouldnt come loose if you tighten it up good. you probarly put on the manifold, then put on turbo, then use a wrench to try 2 tight it up. its best if the manifold and turbo is off the car and then tighten it up. or how about go with a name brand manifold? get like a drag cast iron instead of that EBAY manifold.
its completely normal for bolts to back out from high heat, high vibration applications. idk if you knew this but metal properties change when you apply heat. it doesnt matter what kind of header or manifold you have, sometimes you have to re-tighten the bolts, especially when its new.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its completely normal for bolts to back out from high heat, high vibration applications. idk if you knew this but metal properties change when you apply heat. it doesnt matter what kind of header or manifold you have, sometimes you have to re-tighten the bolts, especially when its new.
x2, the bolt holding my shifter to the linkage kept coming loose, and with a 3" exhaust and a turbo that area gets hotttt. Had to get under there 3 times to tighten her up. Finally on the third time I used some thread lock, and have had no issues since. :cool:

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
x2, the bolt holding my shifter to the linkage kept coming loose, and with a 3" exhaust and a turbo that area gets hotttt. Had to get under there 3 times to tighten her up. Finally on the third time I used some thread lock, and have had no issues since. :cool:
exactly. ive encoutnered that problem as well.
some kids need to stop posting nonsense on here.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
red lock-tite tape, does the trick every time and you don't spill it all over yourself under the car.

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i work on my own car, thanks
kids? posting nonsense? it was just my opinion, my s*** is over 10 LB of boost and it barely come loose. also i did had that issue before that is why i stated what i said. =) never had a problem after i bolt up the manifold and turbo together. the put it on. not going to argue with u here. pahhaha