boost or swap???

ready2swap

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 95 civic with a d16z6 v-tech motor and cannot decide whether to boost the crap out of it or just do a swap. I have heard good things about both, but just can not decide

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
imo, if you dont plan on boosting a swap, then i dont think itll matter that much. a boost could get you cruising with dual cams

Sound Streamin'

Boost or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, if you boost the crap out of your stock engine, you may loose the reliability of it. With a swap, you will gain some serious power out of a relativily stock engine. This means the honda every day drivability and reliability will still be there. Boosting can put tremendous strain on an engine, and can cause problems. That said, a turbo can be a completly safe and reliable thing, if it's taken care of. If you "boost the crap" out of your stock engine, you will need to do the internals, and will want to keep the eninge in a prime state of tune to ensure nothing goes wrong. Your stock internals are strong enough to handle low amounts of boost, such as 6psi(I've heard of one guy running 10psi on a d16 with stock internals, but I wouldnt recommend it.) For some, a high boost turbo would be nothing but a pain in the ass.

Personally, I'd do both. Start with the swap, then turbo it later(if you want).

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and btw were did you get your vtecH motor??

Linguistics

Live Manikins
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by BioHazard
and btw were did you get your vtecH motor??
he got it free with his vtecH phone and answering machine

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ready2swap, i suggest you take a look at turbod16.com and check out what's going on there. i, myself, am going to boost my d16y8. i've considered many options, including the one i wish i could do: swapping, then boosting. but that's too much money and too much time. and i have very little of both.

BadAssLil96EK

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo the d16z6. its a great engine for boosting because it is so cheap to repair if something goes wrong. also, all of the parts for turbo'ing a d series are relatively cheap. ive seen many examples of this engine putting down 190-210 whp with only 10psi. dialy driven, i would not boost 10psi on the stock internals, but if you do the right things, 10psi wont be a problem. My friend has an EF hatch that is in the mid 13's right now on 6psi with a d16z6 swap. just something for you to keep in mind.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
check out http://turbod16.com/ - there's ppl there with some pretty good setups, putting real nice numbers.