boost pressure

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
hey guys
im looking to turbo my civic b16a2, using a t3 turbo
was wondering how much boost a can run without having to use sleeves?
i plan to run around 18-20psi?
would 550cc injectors and a walbro 255 fuel pump give me sufficent fueling?
any input would be great, thanks

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
start with low boost first.. 18-20 psi is too much with out major internal work. Speak to your local tuner. Whatever management he tunes use that.

Also online opinions are nice and you get alot of info but your tuner is ultimately the person who will tell you what and what not to do... and will tune your car too

destructn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys
im looking to turbo my civic b16a2, using a t3 turbo
was wondering how much boost a can run without having to use sleeves?
i plan to run around 18-20psi?
:shock:

let me know how 18psi works out for you and a stock b16a2.... might even want to mount a webcam with night shot in the engine bay too.... ;)

once you have the setup complete i would run it on the wg spring til you get to your tuner and have them run some pulls on the dyno to get a feel for how much boost they think you can safely runon your motor..
THE TUNE IS THE KEY!!!!!
on a daily driver b16 I personally would not run over 8-10psi on a safe tune... I have seen people claim on honda-tech to run up to 14-16lbs on their's but they will run a MUCH higher risk of detonating or letting a rod make its own exit door out the side of the block..

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
18-20psi is to much for a stock B16 even on a small t3.

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
its not a stock motor that i am running
i am oredering viatra pisons, eagle rods and main race bearings and possible an external oil cooler
any ideas on what type of management system would be suitable?

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if youre doing internal work why dont you want to sleeve it?

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go to your tuner and ask him what management he uses

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
im not sure how to sleeve it or where to get them?
if anybody could post me a link to a site that has them so i could have a look then that would be gr8
what advantages do you get from sleeving the bores?

destructn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not sure how to sleeve it or where to get them?
if anybody could post me a link to a site that has them so i could have a look then that would be gr8
what advantages do you get from sleeving the bores?
i've seen awesome work by both golden eagle and ERL
http://www.darton-international.com/
http://www.erlperformance.com
http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com
http://www.laskeyracing.com

advantages from sleeving? i would say its more of a reliability issue here.. i have seen afew people who have goodluck with stock sleeves in b16s up to 400hp or so.. but i think your takin a huge risk at those boost levels (12lbs+)... the tune is going to be the make or break of your motor when you run boosted..
b20 on the other hand has relatively thin cylinder walls so if your going to boost a decent amount it is almost necessary to sleeve it if you want it to be reliable, otherwise you might crack a sleeve or worse damage the block itself..

is this car your daily transportation or just a fun car? if its not your everyday driver you might even think of getting 84mm sleeves, some aftermarket gsr pistons/rods and giving it a little more displacement..

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
thanks for the links
butim still slightly confused:???:
it will be my everyday car so i need it done properly so it does not do any damage to my engine

neoc03

I CRAVE CORNERS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Usually sleeves are put in by a professional shop. It cost about 500 to have sleeves put in around here. However if you take them the bare block before you put in your new pistons and rods it may cost less. Sleeves are a great way to gain peace of mind on a DD. Plus you would be able to make massive power without worrying about cracking the block.

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
thanks for that, i hav a better understandung bout it now, i willbe stripping my block so i will send the bare block away to get sleeves fitted!
what spec of sleeves would you suggest??

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vitara pistons on a b series is no beuno.
b series have 80mm or 81mm bore. the biggest vitaras ive seen are 76mm.

youll be fine with the stock sleeves. if anything run posts or a block gaurd.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dont run a block guard imo. get sleeves, think of it as added insurance. b-series engines are good for ~300whp on the stock block. gettings sleeves, pistons and rods you can easily push 500whp. although i dont recommend that kind of power on a DD

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^b16 and b18 are 81mm.. i think

theres a local here making 420whp on stock gsr sleeves w/o a block gaurd. he beats on it everyday and its still running after 2 months. dd on 20psi.

but like shiznit said if you like the added insurance, go with sleeves. downside is theyre very expensive.

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
sorry i had a look and its je low comp forged pistons and eagle rods
would i be able to run more than 300whp with these without sleeving the block?

bratch_vti

5+ Year Member
yeah they do kinda cost a lot
but its the time it takes around here to get them done and the price for fitting them that puts me off getting it done

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
sorry i had a look and its je low comp forged pistons and eagle rods
would i be able to run more than 300whp with these without sleeving the block?
yes you can. dont ask me how much more though cuz i dont have that answer