Boosted D14 ... advices?

Nick7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, been boosting for some 5 days now.
Setup is:
D14A4 engine (Honda Civic 1.4iS '97)
Garrett T2, internal wastegate
Vortech FMU 10:1
inline fuel pump
Intercooler
custom exhaust manifold & downpipe, no cat
Forge VTA BOV
Gauges: boost, A/F, oil temp

I'm boosting now at 7psi (lowest setting on this internal wastegate), with boost creep of 8psi on 6krpm.
Engine has stock c/r of 9.1, and ignition is set to stock (no detonations whatsoever on any rpm level), and using 98 octane fuel (Europe). When at WOT A/F gauge reads rich.. at exhaust there is little blackish smoke (again this means rich).

What I'm wondering... do u know anyone else boosting D14? The car is going awesome compared to before! Lost of torque, great pull, etc, etc... but I'm kinda affraid not to blow it up =)
I just wanted to know if anyone else boosted D14, at what psi, and if engine survived/for how long. Also if anyone knows how much psi can stock pistons/rods handle on D14.
Y know how it is.. paranoia =) .. I don't even list to radio anymore just listening if I'll hear any weird sounds.. heh..
Oh.. and before you ask.. haven't dynoed it yet.. hopefully soon (want to do wideband aswell than, just to be again shure).

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never even heard of a 1.4 but welcome to CC anyway. :hi:

Nick7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by steve98ex
I've never even heard of a 1.4 but welcome to CC anyway. :hi:
Tnx for welcome... well, if you're from US, no wonder you haven't heard of D14 =)
... but in Europe it's more than common.

Zeo

CCSC #41
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yay someone else with a 1.4i engine. Pics of car?? cause i was gonna get a engine transplant cause i thought boosting a 1.4 wouldnt be worth it. What is it like?? where did you get the turbo from? was it a bolt on or did you get someone to do it? how much did it cost?? sorry bout the questions but im intrigued. oh and finally where do you live? oh and i have a D14A8 is that basically the same as your engine or is it different?

EluSive2K

OG Club Civic DJ!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:nopics:
But welcome to CC and post some when you get a chance!!

Nick7

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, some pics... older before charge pipes were done Imade, and two new are by friend.
I still have to make pics as they are 'supposed' to be make.. well, this is better than nothing I guess =)
Also note on this pics there is still no air filter on, but I added it now.. as said, new pics are yet to come =)

As for 'what's it like'... heh! Difference between stock 1.4 and boosted is like heaven and hell :D
As you know u need to rev 1.4 (as any honda) over 4000-4500rpm to get pull.. with this turbo, it starts pulling at 2500rpm, at 3000rpm it's pulling hard. At 2000rpm I already got ~2psi boost! It's just soo much smoother to drive it now arround city... great torque! As for HP.. as haven't dyoned it yet.. but - stock is 90HP, but I was able to easily beat Del Sol with 125HP engine. So, difference is quite nice. I must say I didn't expect it to be so good!
Also, it's much more fun todrive turbo than, let's say VTI (160HP). When u boost it, you'll know what I'm talking about =)

Only thing I'm worried about is strength of stock parts.. so they won't blow (pistons, rods, gasket...).

Turbo after it's mounted (yes... O2 sensor also not connected in this pics aswell as no charge pipes here)

.. and another pic, different angle

Gauges (kinda blurry)

Gauges before mounting (boost, A/F, oil temp)

Engine with charge pipes.. still need to 'make it look nicer'.. when it warms up outside, than I'll do that =)

GaTo

5+ Year Member
Nick7 said:
Well, been boosting for some 5 days now.
Setup is:
D14A4 engine (Honda Civic 1.4iS '97)
Garrett T2, internal wastegate
Vortech FMU 10:1
inline fuel pump
Intercooler
custom exhaust manifold & downpipe, no cat
Forge VTA BOV
Gauges: boost, A/F, oil temp

I'm boosting now at 7psi (lowest setting on this internal wastegate), with boost creep of 8psi on 6krpm.
Engine has stock c/r of 9.1, and ignition is set to stock (no detonations whatsoever on any rpm level), and using 98 octane fuel (Europe). When at WOT A/F gauge reads rich.. at exhaust there is little blackish smoke (again this means rich).

What I'm wondering... do u know anyone else boosting D14? The car is going awesome compared to before! Lost of torque, great pull, etc, etc... but I'm kinda affraid not to blow it up =)
I just wanted to know if anyone else boosted D14, at what psi, and if engine survived/for how long. Also if anyone knows how much psi can stock pistons/rods handle on D14.
Y know how it is.. paranoia =) .. I don't even list to radio anymore just listening if I'll hear any weird sounds.. heh..
Oh.. and before you ask.. haven't dynoed it yet.. hopefully soon (want to do wideband aswell than, just to be again shure).

Hey was this a Home Made kit you put in your car? or did you buy any turbo kit? I Own a D14 but don't really know if there is any kit available just like tu plug and Play.

On the other Hand how is the car doing? is the engine ok with the turbo? has it give you any problem?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey at least he caught his mistake before getting hounded... lol. ide like to know what happened to this car as well!

Inigo Montoya